Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1988 White T-bar

MR2 Fan
    Thanks Gilles! My little brain figured it out while you were helping
    Last edited by Rich135; 12th June 2019 at 01:02 PM.

Ah well. You can't have too many mr2 pics in a thread!

Looks great. The low mileage must make a big difference. Nice that it has been kept mostly original aswell.
    If it hasn't been done already I would see about getting it cavity waxed, best to catch those tinworms early.
    Yes i talk to myself, sometimes i need a professional opinion

MR2 Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin42006 View Post
    Looks great. The low mileage must make a big difference. Nice that it has been kept mostly original aswell.
    If it hasn't been done already I would see about getting it cavity waxed, best to catch those tinworms early.
    Hi Martin, Yes I know it has been waxoiled underneath, but I will get it up off the floor over the Autumn and have a proper look around and re-do any areas needed. I will do a search on here and see if there are any tips on which bits to do properly as I am not that familiar with the MR2 at the moment but have had a few other classics over the years - they all have their achilles heals to look after!

Oh, I have the original wheels as well, they will be re-shod and back on the car soon!

Rich

Sounds good. Make sure they have done inside the chassis aswell as these cars rust from the inside out.
    The most common areas are
    Rear arches, especially the bottoms behind the skirts I would also pull the boot liner out and check the inner arch and the bottom corner.
    Sills, seem to start around the skirt mounting holes.
    Front bumper bar
    Front chassis above the front ARB mountings
    B posts around the door opening switch

Pretty much every point on the chassis is becoming a rust trap now but they are some of the most common.

Glad you have the original wheels. I think they are best suited for it.
    Yes i talk to myself, sometimes i need a professional opinion

MR2 Fan
    Thanks very much Martin, that is really useful. I know the front bumper bar is good, but will get the side skirts off, and the rear boot liner out and check both of those. The "Frunk" is fine.

MR2 Fan
    What a great example. Certainly been well looked after.

MR2 Newbie
    Wow ..very nice ..Congrats ...

MR2 Fan
    I started to do some underbody rust protection at the weekend, so jacked up the car and took the side skirts off to see what it was like underneath! I am pleased to report the sills came up really nicely after a quick clean with a sponge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sills 1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	5292
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sills 2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	5293
    There are a few very small bobbely areas around two of the plastic clips, but I will rub them down and treat them with kurust/paint as they can't be seen one the skirts are back on.

After that I attacked the underneath with a jet washer and will give it a good going over with wire brushes next weekend before using Dinitrol RC900 then underbody seal and cavity wax. I hate the idea of water getting into any little rusty areas if I ever do go out in the wet weather.

Any tips on other areas to look at while the car is up? Should I take the rear mud flaps off and clean all of that up, or is that asking for trouble? They look pretty good but not perfect.

I will try and take more before and after photo's next time.

Rich

Get all the crap out behind the front wheel arch. Bottom of the A pillar fills with wet vegetation! I filled that area with some black stone chip protection spray. After clearing it out first. You can't see any of it without removing trim.

I always clean behind the inside of the rear wheel arch lip during a wash. It lets wet dirt sit on it.