Thread: Silverstone Classic 2019 - 26th to 28th July

Threaded View

Short serious part first. I want to thank everyone we spent the weekend with, for being great company. We received outstanding hospitality from everyone.

Graham, I think we would have died if you hadn't been a gentleman with hot drink supplies, hot food, facilities, humour, use of your canopy, motorhome, red wine, beer and cheese board. I owe you some big favours for all that.

Tom, club chairman, always welcoming and friendly, great company, interesting conversation and fake gin. Along with your better half.

So thanks for a great weekend once more, it will be a pleasure to do it all again next year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were all headed down there on Thursday dinner. A 2 hour journey turned into a 4 hour grueller being the hottest day of the year in 38c, along with my mates classic machine breaking down.

The water temp was far past 110c. This break down cost us an hour. Ill spare you the details, but we spent enough on the water machine to cover the cost of operating the lovely shell garage we made it too. A sort of welcome break from what eventually became unbearable heat. We cooled ourselves off under to ice cold water tap and the finely engineered Land Rover lump.

We met a lovely south African gentleman working for the garage. He spend a long time gorping at my MR2, waxing lyrical over his old Corrola. He loved the 4AGE.

It had blown a hose in the heater matrix circuit. A short elbow peace. Handily there is a shut off tap on the block to stop the water flow through the matrix. Dazed in the heat, we shut that off, looked in the expansion tank and hit it.

Not a mile down the road we were stopping again. More steam and a death rattle. We let it cool off again and decided we should look in the radiator, there couldn't be any water in the engine. Gingerly opened the radiator on fear of now scolding ourselves, it was bone dry.

We hosed down the engine again with the worst water machine going, opened the tap we shut on the engine and filled the radiator. Of course the tap only stops water flow not isolate the matrix. Water could still get out. We ripped all the pipes off to do with the heater circuit, cut things with a blunt pen knife and somehow managed to bypass the heater. Still another hour to go and Graham was using his past wrestling skills to save us an enormous space at camp.

Finally made it.

We've had some serious giggles over the weekend, serious drinking and friendly banter. Such examples as, Rick finding out his bargain tent isn't long enough

Along with Andy drinking too much rum

A full on day Saturday, up at 6am, camp at 5pm, back out on circuit while 10pm, stopping at another friends camp to drink all their gin while 12am, drinking Grahams wine, Toms fake gin and putting the world to rights until 2am, 4 hours sleep and up at 6am this morning, I am done. Full on experience, not regrets. I need some rest. So, here's some photos from the weekend. I've a lot more, i'll have them posted over the week.

Last edited by Sillyhatday; 30th July 2019 at 07:01 PM.