Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avatars

I prefer reading on paper too, but definitely see a place for electronic readers (I have a filing cabinet full of academic papers I've read, highlighted, annotated and keep going back to - I'd have preferred having them on a tablet like device, but they weren't readily available until recently and are still too expensive for me. I want to keep them when I leave (due to all my notes, etc) but can't due to a lack of space. So it'll all be going in the recycling bin - not that bad, but not really great in my opinion. I still prefer my magazines on paper though.

We realise people want both options, (based on a survey taken last year ( ? ) ) and we're working towards that.

Annnnhnyway, back on topic; let me know if any of you are still having problems with Avatars.
    Click here for Forum How-tos
    Also follow the above link for web/forum contact info.

Staffordshire Moorlands nr. Stoke on Trent
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymax View Post
    Annnnhnyway, back on topic; let me know if any of you are still having problems with Avatars.
    no edit avatar button n my profile page at all
    still not able to send PM just says recipients inbox is full
    avatar is now fixed, yes I was looking in the wrong area
    Last edited by kevin..in; 13th May 2011 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kateg28 View Post
    Paper is recyclable! Managing our resources and re- planting our forests is more important than strip mining. I lived for 13 years on a farm and woodland needs to be managed and that includes felling some trees. You cannot just leave (pun intended) them or some species will be wiped out.

As for lithium which is used to power many electronic devices, it is only mined in very few places, it is then shipped to China to make the batteries which are extremely toxic. And then they are shipped around the world. Much more environmentally friendly to grow a tree, fell it and then grow another.
    this was the point i intended to make in my last post,

Quote Originally Posted by kevin..in View Post
    no edit avatar button n my profile page at all
    Hmmm... I've gone through all your settings and you should be able to. Are you looking in the right place? Go to the top of this page, "Forum Actions" (Under the "What's new" tab), click "Edit Profile". In the new page look on the left for a box titled "My Settings". WIthin there is the option to "Edit Avatar". You can then upload it and save changes.

I know, it's a bit more awkward than before, but you should see what I'm dealing with on the back end!

still not able to send PM just says recipients inbox is full
    Not much I can do about that - they have to log in and clear their inbox! They'll be getting email notifications that their inbox is full and someone is trying to send them messages, though. Let me know who it is and I'll send a nudge email.
    Click here for Forum How-tos
    Also follow the above link for web/forum contact info.

Hmmm... I've gone through all your settings and you should be able to. Are you looking in the right place? Go to the top of this page, "Forum Actions" (Under the "What's new" tab), click "Edit Profile". In the new page look on the left for a box titled "My Settings". WIthin there is the option to "Edit Avatar". You can then upload it and save changes.

I know, it's a bit more awkward than before, but you should see what I'm dealing with on the back end!

Not much I can do about that - they have to log in and clear their inbox! They'll be getting email notifications that their inbox is full and someone is trying to send them messages, though. Let me know who it is and I'll send a nudge email.
    well you told me to PM Karl T about becoming a payed up member but as his inbox is full i can't do that, also tried stuart kynoch with the same result, lastly max I tried you

sorted the avatar now thanks MAX
    Last edited by kevin..in; 13th May 2011 at 10:01 AM.

lastly max I tried you
    Hmm, yes you did - sorry. Been snowed under with password request emails (aside from my usual snowed under with work!). I'll nudge Karl then.

Hmm, yes you did - sorry. Been snowed under with password request emails (aside from my usual snowed under with work!). I'll nudge Karl then.
    not having a go Max I'm aware that you have more than too much to sort now and I'll be around for the long term anyway, but there must be new members who have tried and failed to join up and that can only be a bad thing

Wow membership upgrade button now works , I am both a fully paid up member and £25.00 lighter

MR2 Obsessive
    because the manufacture of electronics is way greener than paper production? lots of rare earth elements been strip mined for your E reader while paper production from renewable sources is greener than you think
    I was actually joking, but let's discuss the facts. I read approximately 2-3 books per week my E-book can store around 350 books. Now 2 books a week times 52 is 104 books per year.

Obviously books are produced by machines which use the rare earth metals you mention in your post and other resources. I would say that one ebook which lasts 5 years (and can then be recycled) will be a lot less environmentally damaging than producing and recycling 500 books. I realise that paper is recyclable but it comes with a cost every time, perhaps the trees will be OK but it still harms the environment to produce and recycle books.

i cant change my avatar nor do i have the settings to do that ? nor can i find where to change my password ?