Thread: Hi guys.

Hi guys.

Just bought this mk1

Mechanically it seems in fairly good nick the only main issues being:

- after a bit of extended driving the clutch starts slipping a bit.
    - there is some brake judder thru the peddle and steering wheel when braking from above 50-60mph.
    - and of course the 5th gear issue

In regards to the brake judder is this most likely a problem with brake discs and does anyone know if this would be an MOT fail?

It's oddly ominous of my start with my mk3 supra, first I had to replace the clutch, then refurbish the front brakes, then the HG went and once I had sorted that out I found out how much fun an LSD isn't in our december weather

Anyway, just thought I should say hi and that I'm glad to be an MR2 owner.

Did try to become a member but the link wasn't working, is that just me or a problem atm?
    Last edited by forkmantorch; 9th May 2011 at 12:28 AM.

Staffordshire Moorlands nr. Stoke on Trent
    welcome to the world of MK1 MR2s, be a bit patient on the joining up link, site has just moved to a new server and its not all de bugged as yet

Hello and welcome.

Yes, this new site is very new but it is getting all the bugs fixed so don't worry. It is a great community and very helpful.

MR2 Newbie

Brake judder

Hi Forkmantorch ,
    Regarding brake judder , it sounds like warped discs . My 1988 car had a similar problem and went through at least 10 MOT's without failing at 3 different MOT stations . I think this is because the test is done at very slow wheel speeds and unless the warping is very severe it does not show up . I did so few miles and at such low speeds in the first 3 years of ownership that i did not notice the problem and it was not given as an advisory on the MOT . As soon as i realised there was a problem i replaced just the front discs and this sorted the judder . I have tried to find the receipt for the discs but cant . I pretty sure they cost about £60 for the pair - they are an easy job to fit them yourself . Other wiser heads will have to advise on your clutch problem . Good luck and enjoy your Mk1 .

MR2 Newbie

Brake judder

Hi Forkmantorch ,
    Regarding brake judder , it sounds like warped discs . My 1988 car had a similar problem and went through at least 10 MOT's without failing at 3 different MOT stations . I think this is because the test is done at very slow wheel speeds and unless the warping is very severe it does not show up . I did so few miles and at such low speeds in the first 3 years of ownership that i did not notice the problem and it was not given as an advisory on the MOT . As soon as i realised there was a problem i replaced just the front discs and this sorted the judder . I have tried to find the receipt for the discs but cant . I pretty sure they cost about £60 for the pair - they are an easy job to fit them yourself . Other wiser heads will have to advise on your clutch problem . Good luck and enjoy your Mk1 .

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Blue I'll take your advice and give the brake discs a go myself.