Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Silverstone Classic 22/23/24 July 2011

Re: Silverstone Classic 22/23/24 July 2011

I'm guessing that's a no then Bill. You could always try encourage people to join instead of being smart. Perhaps there is enough people in the club already.

I cant remember what day I came on last year, but does anyone have any idea if the laps around the track will be going on all weekend or just one of the days?

The parade occurs on the Sunday. We were invited *ahem* (i.e. poor Ken had to beg/ cajole/ bribe the organisers) onto the track as it was the 25th anniversary of the MR2 in the UK. The only way to get on track again is to do the Retro Run. But they really DID do a parade lap, unlike the supercars!
    Mel Scrivin, South West & Wales LAO and Donington Historic Festival Co-ordinator
    MelR2Mk1@btinternet.com
    South West & Wales Area Meets
    None currently, watch this space! - - See 2016 SW&W Show Calendar here.
    Donington Historic Festival, 30/4 to 2/5/2016. Forum thread here

Is the club doing the retro run?

I believe a couple of members are. It happens on the Saturday (but the parade lap is on the Sunday) It costs £112 to do it, but that includes 2 weekend tickets (£80 to 31st Mar, £95 to end Jun, even mroe thereafter) so expensive if you weren't already planning to be there for 3 days...
    Mel Scrivin, South West & Wales LAO and Donington Historic Festival Co-ordinator
    MelR2Mk1@btinternet.com

Sorry, Im confused, there is a parade lap and a retro run?

If you fork out to go on the retro run, you get to do a parade lap. And last year it WAS a parade lap. We got to do a (separate) 'parade lap' with the Supercars, as a special favour because the MR2 was 25. Except it turned out not to be one lap, but two, and the second was under green flag, not a parade!

So, as I say, the only way for YOU to get back on track (unless you buy a Porsche, Lambo or some other exotica) is to fork out for the Retro Run (60 or 100 mile scenic drive round the countryside) and then do the subsequent parade lap.

Did THAT make sense? See http://silverstoneclassic.com/retro-run it's all very simple, honest!
    MelR2Mk1@btinternet.com

I have done the retro run a couple of years back and loved it. Took in some great roads from the Aston Martin service place in Newport Pagnell (just down the road from me, so was very convenient too!) to Silverstone that took a couple of hours IIRC. Plus a tour around the Aston service place which was awesome. That was on Saturday. One Sunday we had the parade lap at around 11-ish which was a couple of laps around the circuit. It is supposed to be more orderly than we did last year, but I may have gotten a little carried away, and a got a few words afterwards (it was worth it though!).

I've been to Silverstone 5 years now; sometimes on one day, sometimes stayed for the whole weekend. Sadly I don't think my uni schedule will allow me to go this year though... However, add to that that I'm a bit gutted that the price has at least doubled since my first year of going...

It's definitely been my favourite show of each year that I've been to though.

And also, to answer an earlier question... Yes, because we have to pay for the pitch, etc, any members who come through the club have to be club members (particularly if - if I remember right - there's a discount for club members too). Sorry.
    Click here for Forum How-tos
    Also follow the above link for web/forum contact info.

Is Ken receiving emails?

Anyone from the Essex/Herts area going on the sunday? Fancy going in tandem???