Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from the USA

MR2 Newbie

Hello from the USA

Hello, I found the site by accdent and couldn't help but join, my name is Caleb and i'm based from the USA and heres my MR2

It is a 1985 hardtop

The Turbo kit
    -ebay manifold
    -garrett t3 .42/.48
    -supra 440cc injectors
    -dsm bov
    -air to water intercooler
    -bosch intercooler pump
    -kawasaki heat exchanger
    -Megasquirt 1 v2.2 standalone
    -walbro 255
    -2.5 mandral custom exhaust

The car
    -85 hardtop
    -toyota front strutbar
    -Celica front brake upgrade front
    -87+ rear brake upgrade
    -bc raingcoilovers 5k/8k
    -prothane bushing
    -rear swaybar
    -15x6 miata wheels
    -late model sideskirts

[img]The kit
    -ebay manifold
    -garrett t3 .42/.48
    -supra 440cc injectors
    -dsm bov
    -a2w intercooler
    -bosch intercooler pump
    -kawasaki heat exchanger
    -walbro 255

The car
    -rare 85 hardtop
    -toyota front strutbar
    -87+ rear brake upgrade
    -bc raingcoilovers 5k/8k
    -prothane bushing
    -rear swaybar
    -15x6 miata wheels
    -late model sideskirts

[img]The kit
    -ebay manifold
    -garrett t3 .42/.48
    -supra 440cc injectors
    -dsm bov
    -a2w intercooler
    -bosch intercooler pump
    -kawasaki heat exchanger
    -walbro 255

The car
    -rare 85 hardtop
    -toyota front strutbar
    -87+ rear brake upgrade
    -bc raingcoilovers 5k/8k
    -prothane bushing
    -rear swaybar
    -15x6 miata wheels
    -late model sideskirts

This is the car how i bought it, everything worn out and a blown motor

I bought the car from the original owner with 210,000 miles on the body and a blown engine about 3 years ago. It had been left to in the backyard for many years with no attempt to fix it but the woman didn't have the heart to junk the car,luckly for both of us i came along an made an offer on the car and promised to fix it.

Re: Hello from the USA

Welcome
    Welcome
    Welcome

Nice to have more foreign cars here. And I'm sure everyone would be interested in more pics/info of the turbo conversion as you hardly ever see 4AGTEs over here.

MR2 Newbie

hi nice lookin car sounds sweet did you fit the turbo yourself and what sort of bhp are you getting?
    And welcome.

MR2 Newbie

Thanks for the warm welcome and to answer your questions, yes i did fit the turbo myself. I hand built all the intercooler piping, turbo down pipe and the custom 2.5" mandral exhaust using just a few basic tools (Grinding wheel,Welder and air powered cut off wheel). I'm going to be adding a post in the Project section if anyone is interested in more photos of my setup and car

I'm not sure how much BHP i'm making because i havn't finished tuning the car or put it on a Dyno yet,but right now i'm running 7 PSI and it feels much quicker then a stock Supercharged mr2. I'm hoping with a little more tuning and maybe a few more psi i can get a solid 200bhp out of the car. The numbers I'm shooting for might seem a bit low but thats because i'm still using a stock small internal 4age bottom end, large amounts of boost and horse power are going to have to wait till i get my hands on a 4agze or maybe a built 7agte

MR2 Newbie

Well i can't make post in the project section for some reason so i guess i'll post up the rest of the pics i have inthis thread

If you guys have any questions about the setup let me know and i'll do my best to answer.

[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask, have you changed the compression?

MR2 Newbie

No I'm still running the standard 9.4:1 compression ratio

Welcome indeed, Great to have another member from the USA. I will ask our Membership secretary to post their contact details on this forum.
    Cheers

Richard

hello and welcome From one newbie to another

Car looks really nice there dude, I did laugh at the condition of the old fuel pump in that photo above, looks like it was raised from the seabed
    And quite jealous of the hard top and nice blue paint option you guys got over there, i'd have loved to have bought one in that colour, we got some crappy shades of blue over here.

Whats it handle like with those BC's attatched? 8kgf/mm is the same spring rate i run on the front of my celica supra, so bet its good fun throwing it sideways when boost kicks in

Cheers for posting up the project though, Good to see some cars across the pond

MR2 Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by killbill oddy
    hello and welcome From one newbie to another

Car looks really nice there dude, I did laugh at the condition of the old fuel pump in that photo above, looks like it was raised from the seabed
    And quite jealous of the hard top and nice blue paint option you guys got over there, i'd have loved to have bought one in that colour, we got some crappy shades of blue over here.

Whats it handle like with those BC's attatched? 8kgf/mm is the same spring rate i run on the front of my celica supra, so bet its good fun throwing it sideways when boost kicks in

Cheers for posting up the project though, Good to see some cars across the pond

Its Funny most people hate the color of my car they say its girly but i like it, it's called Light Blue Metallic toyota color code 8B8 and was only available on the 85-86 models here but was unpopular so you don't see many of them.

The car handles fantastic with the BC coilovers and the quality is fantastic for the money but with there standard spring rates of 5k/8k the car is WAY over sprung for the area i live in but should do well on the track.
    i do wish i would have gone with a 3.5k/5k setup so it would be ride a little better

to give you an idea here are BC Racing's standard spring rates for all mr2's in comparison lol

aw11-5k/8k
    sw20-4k/6k
    zzw30-4k/6k