Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: AUGUST 19th/21st TATTON PARK CLASSIC CAR SHOW

I suppose so, just feeling sorry for myself that three days of seriously hard graft have not come to much and the end product looks a lot worse than I had hoped for. I’ve got newly sprayed wings and front valance panels to put on it which look MINT but I got no where near to putting them on, I’m knackered!

The bits I ruined were the rear plastic capping trims that go over the rear of the C pillar, either side of the clear TOYOTA spoiler on the roof and which run down to the boot. Never removed them before but the bolts inside the removable trim ALL snapped off as I undid the screw fixings from them. Now I’ve no way of putting them back on again, as the screws used to secure them now have nothing to screw into! It’s hard to describe but if you’ve removed them before you’ll know what I’m talking about.

Yeah I think I know what you mean - the 2 big black plastic caps? Or all of the screws? If the spoiler is secure you could just bond (bodge) them back in place... a bit naughty that though. Id be tempted to get down to maplin & see what they have that could do the job

This is the bit!

It holds four nuts in the plastic trim itself, in to which the four external screws fix. Well all my bolts, on both sides have broken away, I'm amazed I managed to removed them with the bolts spinning around inside!

Aha! You can deffo fix that with some little metal clips that you slide over the top of the screwhole on the metal of the car body. The idea is the screw thread catches the edge of the clip - Gary showed me that trick when he had the same issue on his 2 tone. If you give him a shout maybe he can bring some from the garage?

Oh I see! I tried two part Araldite glueing the nuts to the metal part of the body and then screwing in to them. Tried it this morning when the glue was dry. Got half way in with each bolt before the glue snapped and the nuts started spinning round! Now I'm not sure how I'm going to remove it again to try Gary's trick?

Where would I get these clips from?

MR2 Obsessive
    Jimbo I have just been into my garage and have found a pair of these trims with all the nuts intact. They could do with a coat of satin black but are totally undamaged, however I can't find the big screws that go into them. I will happily bring them along and as long as you have the original screws we can sort it in 5 minutes. They are free of charge although if you want to buy me a cider it would be appreciated

Let me know if you want them as I always struggle with room in the car at Tatton and these would take the space of around 3 cans of cider

Passed its MOT at 6 o'clock this evening - very pleased so all set for Sunday.

Washing and polishing tomorrow evening and looking forward to being at Tatton again.

Graham

MR2 Obsessive
    Just packing car, I will assume you don't want the trim pieces Jimbo so they are being left on the workbench.

Hi, sorry for not getting back to you sooner! I think I'll try Gary's trick first to see if that works.

Thanks very much for the offer tho!

MR2 Obsessive
    Gary's fix does work, but it is not as good as an original set of trim with all nuts intact. Anyway if you make it I will see you at the weekend.