Thread: New 1987 T-Bar Project

MR2 Lurker

New 1987 T-Bar Project

Hi All,

Been thinking of having a go at restoring a car for a while now after a few years of working on cars. Then I saw a Mk1 MR2 one day and just fell in love and had to have one. I've now got hold of a 1987 red t-bar in need of some love and here it is:

So far on my priority list of jobs to do I have:

Repair bottom of B pillar on drivers side
    Repair bottom of A pillar on drivers and passenger side
    Repair a hole in the floor pan
    Repair patch of rust above windscreen
    Repair any more rust I find!
    Strip off skirts and have a good look at the sills
    If all goes well, a paint job to finish.

I think I've got my work cut out with this, but nothing would give me more pleasure to get this car back into a respectable state. I shall post up pics of my progress once I get started at stripping her down (perhaps when its a few degrees warmer I think)

MR2 Lurker

Re: New 1987 T-Bar Project

Been having a prod around, the B pillar is not as bad as expected, but still needs attention, the front crash bar is rotten as expected, the triangular section of sill leading to the rear arch under the skirt is shot and has been repaired using filler by a previos keeper. At the front, the floor pan under the spare wheel is absolutely rotten, can you buy these ready to weld in?

Apart from that, shes not beyond salvage and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in. I think I should start up a project thread with pics to keep you all updated on progress, what do you think?

MR2 Fan

Re: New 1987 T-Bar Project

Hi Dave good to see you on here, you'll find it can be a bit slow on occassion but if you post any questions in the garage section you should get a fairly swift reply.

Good luck

Alan