Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie from Anglesey

MR2 Lurker

Newbie from Anglesey

Hi guys, I'm Warren from Anglesey in North Wales. I'm on my 3rd MK1 which I use mainly for autotesting here on Anglesey. The car has a MK1 Club sticker in the windscreen, so maybe someone recognizes the plate? The previous owner had it sprayed in the MG Blue and I think he added the extra bits too. My first MK1 also had a MK1 Club sticker in the window, but it died a rusty death, so its engine now lives under the bonnet of my Mini

Here's my current one. Since this was taken, I've chopped off one of the tailpipes and welded plenty of rusty holes which were hidden under the bodykit

I'll probably be in the tech section a lot, asking questions about where vacuum pipes and wires go so I can get the mini finished!!

MR2 Enthusiast

Re: Newbie from Anglesey

Hello and well that's a bit different

Chris

MR2 Lurker

Hi Chris, you put that very politely!!

Its not exactly my taste either, so It'll be toned down a bit when time and money allow!

A friend of mine has converted a MK1 rear end into a BBQ, the plan is to swap bootlids so I'll gain a standard spoiler eventually.

Hi there...that's one different colour!!

Think she'll look a lot better without that wing(handle??)...

Talking of handles, how does she handle with those 17"s on?? I wouldn't of thought too well...

...however, like everything, handling's a personal taste so you may find it fine!!

MR2 Lurker

Hi there, I think the colour is MG trophy Blue. The car used to be a dark metallic green. I've never seen a MK1 in that colour, but I reckon it'd look good. I'm hoping to find the time over the winter to make a few changes, the first one being to remove the ironing board from the boot lid then maybe a respray if I ask my father in law nicely :P

The 17" wheels aren't too bad but they kill the acceleration dead. Its like driving in one gear to high all the time. They like following the white lines too. I use a pair of 15" wheels with 55 profile tyres on the back for autotesting which work well.

I don't know if anyone's tried it before, but I tried car trialling in it one day. Needless to say, I didn't do very well

hi welcome to the club , i like the colour trophy blue and it suits the car well , lose the bling wheels and the scooby spoiler,
    i would keep the kit and you have a nice looking unique mk1 . what is involved in auto-testing I'm interested to know . ps i bet that mini flies and is top fun

gary

Quote Originally Posted by warrenc
    The 17" wheels aren't too bad but they kill the acceleration dead. Its like driving in one gear to high all the time. They like following the white lines too. I use a pair of 15" wheels with 55 profile tyres on the back for autotesting which work well.

I don't know if anyone's tried it before, but I tried car trialling in it one day. Needless to say, I didn't do very well
    Erm...yeah, they need a bit of prep for off-roading antics, not the best as std...

And ahh, tramlining(choosing their own path)...that's what I get with too big wheels!! Not fun...I try 195/50/15, keeps the overall wheels' rolling radius close to OEM. Others find 195/45/16 is ok, a little rubber-bandy(thin) for me though...

Nice front airdam/spoiler btw, v.similar to one I once wanted....Mk1dal is right, lose the wing/wheels and you've got a peach!!

Thats a Vien's front bumper by the looks of it! I've always wanted one too! I like the colour but I also agree, lose the spoiler and wheels and get it lowered

Looks more like a Eurosport, or Toysport to me...it's not Vein's, they're one piece with the nosecone, and that's clearly a lower airdam...

MR2 Lurker

Gary - Autotesting is basically a test of car handling skills against the clock. The experts do it like this:

http://www.gomotorsport.tv/mychannel/ch ... format=flv

The clubsport ones I do are more like this:

That's my first MR2 which was so riddled in tin worm that it actually started sagging in the middle. Sea air and MK1's don't mix! The engine from it is now in my Mini, which is still undergoing surgery, but I'm getting there slowly and hope to have it running in the next month or so. Just a shame that things like having to work and sleep get in the way

To put the bodykit debate to rest, the fella I bought it off said it was a Eurosport kit and the spoiler is from the Starship Enterprise :P The car trial didn't do it any favours, so I've had some hefty repairs to do and I've now blended it into the nosecone.

I bought my first MK1 off fleabay on a whim as it was cheap and local and now I'm hooked - these cars are great fun, though my first experience of lift off oversteer had me twitching a bit