Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18 and considering an Mk1... advice?

MR2 Lurker

18 and considering an Mk1... advice?

Hey guys!

Short about me: James, 18 years old, male, live in Exeter, Devon. Gap yearing currently, uni next year. Obsessed with cars.

Currently I drive an Audi A4 B5 1.9TDI. But I want something more fun, but relatively cheap, and race in the future. Something EXACTLY like a Mk1 MR2.

My main queries are about running costs. The Audi is quite cheap (very reliable, 50mpg) - although if something does go wrong it's expensive. What is the Mk1 like? Being an old car, are there a lot of repair/upkeep costs? I'm sure it won't be as fuel efficient as the TDI, but being a 1.6 and weighing as much as a Rubik's Cube probably makes it relatively good - what figures are people getting?

Thanks!

Re: 18 and considering an Mk1... advice?

I drive mine quite Quickly and it returned 36mpg tonight.

Alan

MR2 Fan

Hello there,
    I'm only about half an hour away from yourself just outside Chard, Axminster side.
    Anyway, fuel consumption. For short trips and local work I find my mk1 is a bit thirstier than my modern Focus. I reckon I might get 30 mpg for this type of driving.
    However on a run, its mustard. From Chard to Kendal last year I managed 47 to the gallon at between 70-80 on the motorway on the way up. My I.6 petrol Focus won't do that. I do however put this down to recently cleaned fuel injectors.
    Spare wise though some of the part prices, new mind you, are eyewateringly expensive so do go into it with your eyes open.

Hi James,

Good choice on thinking about a Mk1!

The best value mid engine rear drive wheel chassis for the money and more interesting (IMO) that an MX5.

I've been hooked on them for nearly two years now and can't see it fading. Fuel consumption claims range from 25-45mpg. Expect around 30-35 I'd say if you drive it properly sometimes and do some motorway miles as well. They don't have a great range with the 8-9 gallon tank but then most people don't do a huge amount of miles so this isn't an issue.

Mechanically they are very strong but their big weaknesses are rust, rust and rust. Make sure you buy one with a solid body or if it does have rust that it isn't on the chassis. If you're not handy with a welder etc. the bills for getting a car through MOT for example can be high. There is a strong second hand parts community both on these and other forums and also on eBay etc.

If you do decide to buy one or go to view one, then post up on here and we can give you some pointers for checks to do and what to look out for.

Finally, once you've bought one get joined upto the club as you get quarterly magazines, free entry to many club organised event stands (inc. camping) and also it helps out with keeping the club going for years to come.

Anyway, have fun searching for a car and keep us updated!

Cheers,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by spudgun
    Spare wise though some of the part prices, new mind you, are eyewateringly expensive so do go into it with your eyes open.
    Any examples?... of parts that you can't easily and reasonably get second hand or refurbished? Just a bit misleading as Mk1's are relatively cheap to run for the type of car that they are and usability that you can get out of them.

I would definitely consider how much you rely on your car. If you need it for work or university and would be stranded without it then you may struggle. I use mine daily and it does spring surprises on you every now and again as it is an old car and parts will fail.

I can use the bus, get a lift or walk to work if needs be though so I get by OK.

If you do decide to get one (you know you want to!) then the most important thing would be to make sure you look underneath at all the structural parts of the body to make sure it's not rotten and if the seller won't allow this then walk away. I didn't know how prone to rust these cars were when I got my first and quite quickly I realised my £1500 purchase was not very wise

I have had mine for 4 years and the alternator went once. That is the only time it has failed me apart from when I left it for 4 weeks sitting in the deep snow this winter and the battery went flat. Needed a bit of jump start but took it out for an hour and it has never looked back.

I think they are very reliable but mine is my second car so not a disaster if it did want a rest and some tlc.

As for fuel consumption, I do tend to play with the revs when out so not very economical but still get around 35 mpg which is the same as my dependable diesel Mondeo estate.

It is the rust that is the problem and the rarity (and consequently price) of the parts. But I am not aware of any car that you get the same amount of fun, or bang for the bucks. And so much more interesting than a lot of other cars out there.
    And they are all older than you....

MR2 Lurker

Thanks everyone! Incredible helpful.

Fuel-efficiency-wise, that sounds fine, about what I was expecting.

Engine-wise they're fairly reliable then? It's just rust?

Admittedly I've never driven one, but if they are as I imagine (low-tech MR fun) I'm happy. And I hear they are!

Quote Originally Posted by tommundy
    Finally, once you've bought one get joined upto the club as you get quarterly magazines, free entry to many club organised event stands (inc. camping) and also it helps out with keeping the club going for years to come.
    Of course!

I'm only about half an hour away from yourself just outside Chard, Axminster side.
    You going to Devon Car Show in a couple weeks?
    Also, you've reminded me I need to finish my spudgun.

Quote Originally Posted by FossMan
    I would definitely consider how much you rely on your car. If you need it for work or university and would be stranded without it then you may struggle. I use mine daily and it does spring surprises on you every now and again as it is an old car and parts will fail.

I can use the bus, get a lift or walk to work if needs be though so I get by OK.
    It would have to be a daily. Where I live there is no public transport, hence how I need reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Kateg28
    And they are all older than you....
    That's a good thing! A lot of mates have '03 or similar little boring modern hatchbacks like 207s and Clios. I'd much prefer a fun old MR!

MR2 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tommundy
    Hi James,

Good choice on thinking about a Mk1!

The best value mid engine rear drive wheel chassis for the money and more interesting (IMO) that an MX5.

I've been hooked on them for nearly two years now and can't see it fading. Fuel consumption claims range from 25-45mpg. Expect around 30-35 I'd say if you drive it properly sometimes and do some motorway miles as well. They don't have a great range with the 8-9 gallon tank but then most people don't do a huge amount of miles so this isn't an issue.

Mechanically they are very strong but their big weaknesses are rust, rust and rust. Make sure you buy one with a solid body or if it does have rust that it isn't on the chassis. If you're not handy with a welder etc. the bills for getting a car through MOT for example can be high. There is a strong second hand parts community both on these and other forums and also on eBay etc.

If you do decide to buy one or go to view one, then post up on here and we can give you some pointers for checks to do and what to look out for.

Anyway, have fun searching for a car and keep us updated!

Cheers,
    Tom

Any examples?... of parts that you can't easily and reasonably get second hand or refurbished? Just a bit misleading as Mk1's are relatively cheap to run for the type of car that they are and usability that you can get out of them.
    I don't want to mislead anyone, Tom, but I have had to buy trim parts in that past and they are really expensive. The bodywork decals don't represent very good value for money. Also the ash trays used to be worth good money second hand as the new ones cost a lot. I also bought a gearbox off of Kev last year (there is a thread here somewhere) which was brand new but needed a bit of modding. A new gearbox from Toyota was 3200 euros plus the vat. I do think Toyota prices for safety stuff like brake rebuild kits are very resonable, but non essentials the part prices are quite shocking after driving european motors.
    I know that there is plenty of stuff available second-hand, but if you can't find what your after, for whatever reason, be prepared for an unpleasent suprise. Go have a look at Toyodiy.com for a few prices and see what I mean.

MR2 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Drakelet
    You going to Devon Car Show in a couple weeks?
    Also, you've reminded me I need to finish my spudgun.

[/quote]

I'm afraid not. I will be out at the nurburgring that weekend in it.
    Looking forward to it.

MR2 Lurker

I assume they have no electronic driving aids? ABS, TC etc