Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from a thrilled newbie!

Hello from a thrilled newbie!

I am SO happy to be part of this exclusive club at last!!! When I was 17 my boss drove me for all of about half a mile in her metallic powder blue G-reg Mk I. (And yes, it took us about 30 seconds lol) Ever since then (another 17 years...) I have been in love with these cars, but have never been able to have one (and been too scared of buying a shed and losing all my money!!!)

Last week my other half came in and said 'You're gonna hate our neighbour' so we trudged outside with me thinking 'what's the idiot done now?!?!' only to be presented with a red Mk II. 'No worries' I chirped 'I want a Mark I, Mark IIs don't worry me!' Saturday we go to a family garden party. As people start to leave I walk round the garage to be presented with the bautiful face of an E-reg Mk I in navy blue. NOW I'm cross SOMEONE I know has a Mark I. I WANT IT! I'M SO JEALOUS!

After staring for a while, wondering which of the old farmer types dares have such a sexy car my (almost) step-cousin(don't ask, her Dad and my Aunt never actually married...!)'s hubby walks up and says 'Isn't she lovely. Do you want her, she's for sale'

Well, you coulda shovelled my jaw off the floor! We went through all the 'no room on the drive, no spare cash, gotta dog wont be able to ever drive her, can't afford the insurance' rubbish at which point he handed me the keys and off we went. That was it. If I was in love with Mk Is before, I was totally hooked now!

So now here I am, counting down the days until I can pick her up. I managed to get classic insurance from my bike company for under £300 with a £100 excess (have never had car insurance and it's gonna be a second car so no NCB, but lots of 'safe driver years'...) and as I am family they knocked the car down from the £900 they wanted to £650, so I am well chuffed!

Thanks for listening to an excited loon Hope to meet some of you and maybe pick your brains soon....I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

PS Anyone got any recommendations on winter covers/ shampoo/ wax???
    Mel Scrivin, South West & Wales LAO and Donington Historic Festival Co-ordinator
    MelR2Mk1@btinternet.com
    South West & Wales Area Meets
    None currently, watch this space! - - See 2016 SW&W Show Calendar here.
    Donington Historic Festival, 30/4 to 2/5/2016. Forum thread here

Re: Hello from a thrilled newbie!

Wello to you.

Welcome to the club. You are not alone and there are lots of us who love these cars. Got to really when there are a lot of choices of cars at these prices and many with less of a rust.

And if I am honest, the dark blue (officially called Dark Blue Pearl but we all call it Mica Blue - the pale blue one is Helios Blue) is the best !!!!

Let us know where you are based and you will have to come to a meet and see all of our cherished cars.

Thanks for the Wello Kateg28

I am in Evesham, so either West Mids or South West is do-able (family are in Gloster)

Hurrah, thanks for saving me a newb question (I am just getting to grips with her having a sunroof not t-bar, didn't know they existed, and trying to work out NA [normally aspirated I discover - which I think she is!], and trying to remember her distinguishing features to work out Ia or Ib [b I think as no arm rest and central ashtray plus black knobs on air vents!]) of what mica and helios were!!! I was planning on waiting until I picker her up and hoping the colour code was on the chassis plate!!! TBH I didn't know the dark blue existed (looking at all the other colour codes there are loads I didn't know about!) I was thrilled as I didn't want red, black or white...so I was narrowing myself severely to helios lol

re. rust I am chuffed to have found one with rear arches already replaced, but she does have rust in the front corner of the door sills. Am hoping to wing the (August) MOT and then see what I can do about it. Being a girlie have no hope of self-fixing so need to blag a 'man-who-can' rather than pay garage prices...

Anyhoo, only 9 days to go now!!!

Mel

Mel Scrivin, South West & Wales LAO and Donington Historic Festival Co-ordinator
    MelR2Mk1@btinternet.com

Hiya and welcome to the club.
    i was just as excited!

Really please this sound like fate that you are gettign the car.

wax: all the autoglym range are ace
    covers: www.classicadditions ?co.uk

Thanks MR2MK1Chick! It does doesn't it? And I am a really strong believer in fate, so I really couldn't say no!!!

Thanks for the tips too, always relied on Autoglym for the bikes, so I did wonder!!!
    MelR2Mk1@btinternet.com

I think Wello could be the new Hello

Evesham is a good central location so you should be able to make various events. Keep your eyes peeled for events and when you get to one, just ask someone to go over the car for you. They will tell you honestly what needs doing and prioritise it and give you an idea of costs for budgeting. It is always done very positively, we need more people to cherish these cars and fix that pesky rust problem.

I think the Mica blue is probably the 3rd most common colour after Red and White but not entirely sure. I had a white one 18 years ago when it was almost new but this time I knew I wanted dark blue and 4 years of ownership, still love it. Be very very careful when getting paint for it though, I got the exact paint code but now have purple arches. They will be fixed this Summer/Autumn back to the beautiful Mica Blue

And stock up on those polishing items ready for 9 days time and get the camera ready, we all love pictures.

Indeed, welcome and hello all in one

Oh dear at your arches

Quite fancy the Le Mans trip, but the Mrs has a bad back, so camping is out. Am wondering if we should upgrade the MR2 with a towbar...the caravan only weighs 950kg Santa Pod's not too far away but don't think I can talk the boss into a car show the day after picking it up somehow - shame!!!
    MelR2Mk1@btinternet.com

Staffordshire Moorlands nr. Stoke on Trent

Quote Originally Posted by bikermel76
    Indeed, welcome and hello all in one

Oh dear at your arches

Quite fancy the Le Mans trip, but the Mrs has a bad back, so camping is out. Am wondering if we should upgrade the MR2 with a towbar...the caravan only weighs 950kg Santa Pod's not too far away but don't think I can talk the boss into a car show the day after picking it up somehow - shame!!!
    yes to the tow bar 950kg is (I think) too heavy a caravan to tow with a mk1 needs to be (I think again) less than .75 of the weight of the car, so something like an Eriba puck

Hey from a another new Mica blue owner

Great arent they

I hope so! STILL not got it yet 3 days to go....

MelR2Mk1@btinternet.com