Thread: Weekday evening Mk1 meets

Weekday evening Mk1 meets

Hi Folks

I recently bought a Mk1b and I would be keen to meet other Mk1 owners on a regular basis. I went to the ('all MR2 types') Milton Keynes meet last Saturday (22nd May) only to find the venue had changed and only one other car showed up. Do I get the impression that most of the regular monthly meets attract mainly Mk2 and Mk3 owners?

Personally, I am a great fan of the Mk1 and would be happy to attend Mk1 only meets. My personal preference is for a weekday evening Pub meet as I am usually doing other things at the weekend.

Are there any Mk1 only meets planned (other than rallys/shows etc)?
    Is there any interest for a regular weekday evening meet in the Aylesbury/High Wycombe area?

GaryB

Re: Weekday evening Mk1 meets

The law of averages states there will be more MK2 owners at a meet. I go along to some and find them very friendly although their conversation often revolves around different revisions/spoilers and other stuff which doesn't apply.

In theory I would like weekday evening meets but I find it difficult to get out during the week after work as I have all the chores to do and a 12yo to organise. Being untterly selfish, I would probably only go if it was really close to me as I don't have too much time to spare.

Hiya,
    Firstly, welcome! Sorry I couldn't be at the MK meet last weekend (it's 10 minutes away from where I live at the moment). My clutch has gone on my MR2 and it didn't seem right turning up on a bicycle! Normally there's a couple of Mk1 owners there who group togther, but you're right, the Mk2 people do seem to discuss different topics! As Kate said, revisions and spoilers rather than rust and handling.

Due to the sheer number of Mk2s and Mk3s compared to MK1s still on the road, it's sadly inevitable that these shared meets will have Mk1s in the minority. We did used to have a Mk1 club only meet in the region (this is going back a few years!) but interest waned, and the organiser left and the meets kinda disappeared. If I have a working car and time, I'd be up for a Mk1 only meet again. However, this year I've put all rallys/shows/meets on hold due to Uni commitments (basically I don't have weekends at the moment).

If/When I move back to my parents in Maidenhead, I'd be up for a regular meet then and Aylesbury/High Wycombe would be fine. (They're not too difficult now really) I used to commute through Princes Risborough a few years back, so know the region well and know some really nice roads we could do a drive on.

However, right now meets are a no-go for me, sadly. Mid-week or weekend, just not possible... Will definitely try in the future though!
    Click here for Forum How-tos
    Also follow the above link for web/forum contact info.

Hi Kateg28 & Monkeymax

Thanks for the replies. I understand the difficulties with evening meets when there are other domestic things to do. I somewhat have the opposite problem where I'm not at home much at weekends but evenings are largely free for me (being single with no kids!). Distance to travel is also more of an issue in the limited time available in the evenings.

I shall try and go along to the Upper Thames Branch evening meet in Hungerford next month and any others that are not too far away. I might also try and organise a Sat or Sun meet at the gliding club where I fly near Banbury. It would be great to see a gathering of Mk1's there and if there was enough interest, people can have a glider flight and possibly a BBQ in the evening.

Hopefully meet you both at some point in the future.

GaryB

That sounds great actually. I did a glider flight a couple of years ago and really really enjoyed it, would love to do more but timing not right to take it up as a hobby at the moment.

If you want to organise an event like that, I would be happy to help. You could always open it up to include MK2/Mk3 to ensure numbers but Banbury is quite central....

Really like the idea.

Unfortunately I had a bit of a disaster with my MR2 last week and it'll be off the road for some time. The garage that fitted the new clutch when I bought the car forgot to reconnect the earth strap to the gearbox and this has caused the wiring to get hot and eventually a short has occurred. There's lots of damage to the wiring looms where they have burned out. I'm currently waiting for their insurance assessor to come and see the car.

So I won't be organising anything before I get the car up and running again but hopefully it'll be sometime in late July or August.

GaryB