Thread: Adjustable power steering

Club Technical Advisor

Adjustable power steering

I have managed to make a hybrid power steering column for my Mk1 using half Mk1 and half Vauxhall Corsa parts, a pretty big achievement given the parts are from two different makes.

I have been asked a lot in the past if PS is possible on a Mk1, from people who compete in gymkhana events, older owners who have trouble steering at low speed and owners who run bigger road wheels and smaller aftermarket steering wheels.

A few years ago i retro fitted a Mk2 PAS system onto a Mk1 using a USDM rack, turned upside down, and then fitted all of the Mk2 pump and control system, it worked but it was heavy and made the Mk1 feel funny to steer. There was no adjustability in that setup at all.

This time around i have used a system that can be totally turned off and will just act and feel as a normal Mk1 does or it can be varied right up to full PAS with a turn of a dash mounted knob. It also means all of the stock Mk1 switchgear, ignition barrel/lock and cowling all looks and works as before, to the man in the street it's a normal Mk1 and with the PAS turned off still feels like one.

Here is the new hybrid corsa/mk1 column....

At the moment it only fits my V8 project due to needing to modify the dash area around the steering column a little, but i might take the idea further if enough interest is shown.

All comments welcome...

MR2 Fan

Re: Adjustable power steering

I would like power steering as i find with a smaller after market steering wheel (which looks ten times better than an original i must add) parking is a reel pain.

Apart from my mk1 (s) i havent had a non assisted car for at least 15 years.

Larger wheels/tyres and weight on modern cars would make steering really hard work if it wernt for a little help.

Club Technical Advisor

Re: Adjustable power steering

The power steering conversion has been a huge success, check out the video of it working...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ee7QUp5z8

If enough interest is shown i am going to look into producing this as a bolt on kit.

Hi Paul, just wondering if there was any development on this at all? Its something id be interested in having.
    Cheers

Club Technical Advisor
    Hi, unfortunately there is not enough demand for me to invest making this a kit, there are no more than a handful of people interested in this as a product, it would take me a few months to make them as a plug and play kit and for a few takers it just isn't worth it.

I am more than happy to supply people with the raw component parts if they want to build their own power columns, but sadly there is no market for them as a product, just one of those things i can chalk up as having done and invented.

MR2 Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsport View Post
    Hi, unfortunately there is not enough demand for me to invest making this a kit, there are no more than a handful of people interested in this as a product, it would take me a few months to make them as a plug and play kit and for a few takers it just isn't worth it.

I am more than happy to supply people with the raw component parts if they want to build their own power columns, but sadly there is no market for them as a product, just one of those things i can chalk up as having done and invented.
    Hi-I want to venture into this, can you let me know the spec etc you had please?

I need to know which of the Corsa units you used please B or C & adjustable or not too.

Low speed steering is pain 😥

Club Technical Advisor
    Any of the Corsa units will work, i used the B.