I have managed to make a hybrid power steering column for my Mk1 using half Mk1 and half Vauxhall Corsa parts, a pretty big achievement given the parts are from two different makes.

I have been asked a lot in the past if PS is possible on a Mk1, from people who compete in gymkhana events, older owners who have trouble steering at low speed and owners who run bigger road wheels and smaller aftermarket steering wheels.

A few years ago i retro fitted a Mk2 PAS system onto a Mk1 using a USDM rack, turned upside down, and then fitted all of the Mk2 pump and control system, it worked but it was heavy and made the Mk1 feel funny to steer. There was no adjustability in that setup at all.

This time around i have used a system that can be totally turned off and will just act and feel as a normal Mk1 does or it can be varied right up to full PAS with a turn of a dash mounted knob. It also means all of the stock Mk1 switchgear, ignition barrel/lock and cowling all looks and works as before, to the man in the street it's a normal Mk1 and with the PAS turned off still feels like one.

Here is the new hybrid corsa/mk1 column....

At the moment it only fits my V8 project due to needing to modify the dash area around the steering column a little, but i might take the idea further if enough interest is shown.

All comments welcome...