Thread: New member in Hampshire

New member in Hampshire

Hi, I've just signed up and I'm looking to buy an MR2 later this year - the deal is extension first, MR2 second. I've always wanted one since they first appeared in the 80s. Had the chance to buy one in my 20s, but opted for a 1989 Celica instead. Then I got married and had children which ruled out a small 2 seater. But now I find myself in the position where I can buy one, keep it in the garage and just use it once or twice a week.
    Not sure whether to buy something soon for less than £1k and spend a bit of money on it over time, or wait a bit and then spend £2k or so on a decent one. What do you reckon?
    And if there's anyone within easy reach of Basingstoke who'd be happy to let me take a look at their car and show me what's what that would be great.

Re: New member in Hampshire

Hiya and welcome

the decision of how much to spend usually equates to how much do you want to work on the car.
    if you like the feel of grease and spanners, then a <1k mk1 is fine.
    there is no guarentee, but hopefully a >2k one will only need servicing and mots.

MR2 Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by rpm---
    And if there's anyone within easy reach of Basingstoke who'd be happy to let me take a look at their car and show me what's what that would be great.
    Hello and welcome

My other half and I have 2 mk1s, we're in Gosport so not too far away if you wanted a look/passenger ride.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mk1chick
    I'd say that at the moment a sub-1k MR2 is more of a "do you like welding or not" question...
    I have one that was closer to £2k, and one that was sub 1k. Granted, I've not yet finished the sub 1k one so it's probably too early to say, but if I were doing it again, I wouldn't buy it. I love my spannering, but am finding there's been enough to keep me busy lately! So if I was buying again now, I'd find the best I could for my money, or save for a good one. Especially now, there are some good ones for sale/coming for sale soon...
    Click here for Forum How-tos
    Also follow the above link for web/forum contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymax
    Welcome!

I'd say that at the moment a sub-1k MR2 is more of a "do you like welding or not" question......
    agreed

do you like welding?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymax
    Welcome!

I'd say that at the moment a sub-1k MR2 is more of a "do you like welding or not" question......
    agreed

do you like welding?
    er, I'm a novice when it come to using a spanner, but quite fancy having a go at some of the more straightforward servicing tasks. I think welding is a step too far for me. Sounds like I'm best off saving up and buying something in decent nick

If you aren't fussed what colour look at this:
    viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4930

its had all the welding done recently by the seller
    £1600

My other half and I have 2 mk1s, we're in Gosport so not too far away if you wanted a look/passenger ride.
    That's a very kind offer - thank you. I may well contact you in a few weeks to take you up on it.

mr2mk1chick - thanks for the link - not ready to spend that money right now and looking for a T-Bar I think.

MR2 Enthusiast

if you want to pop down to me for a chat i can point out all the problem areas. gu24 9ew
    Now in sunny Wiltshire.

Quote Originally Posted by crazylegs
    if you want to pop down to me for a chat i can point out all the problem areas. gu24 9ew
    Nice one. Thanks. You're certainly nearby. I'll drop you a PM after the clocks have changed to see if I could come over one evening during the week.