Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worlds first 2gr-fe Mk1

Club Technical Advisor

Worlds first 2gr-fe Mk1

You guys appreciate a good Mk1 engine conversion so i thought i'd share pics of the worlds first 2gr-fe Aw11.... we are just at the hanging stage but its now fully mounted. It has taken one week from having the fire damaged 4a-ge in it to get to this stage, and the engine bay has needed to be massaged in a few areas to get the clearance. These engines are unbelievably powerful and pull like a train in the Mk2's we have built so god only knows what this will be like. (same engine as the lotus Evora has)

A view of the torque mounts, which have been substantially strengthened as has the chassis mounting points....

Ok not quite as radical as my Mk1 V8, but we expect this to pull tree stumps out

Re: Worlds first 2gr-fe Mk1

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsport
    the engine bay has needed to be massaged in a few areas to get the clearance.
    LOL
    PW Massage parlour

looks quite a snug fit, will be interesting to see how the plumming side of things go. are you going to use the same rad as your v8?

Club Technical Advisor

LOL well if by massage you mean getting whacked repeatedly with a lump hammer until you are flat then yes!

Yes this one will get the same alloy rad upgrade as my mk1 v8.

Club Technical Advisor

Well today saw the fidanza fitted, ACT clutch installed and the LSD gearbox fitted, then the whole lot refitted into the fresh engine bay...

Some things are just meant to be, this left side radiator hose is the stock 4a-ge one, and it fits perfectly, no trimming or adjusting, it just fits. I also added the heater hoses, fuel pressure regulator and worked out the placement of a few other things, we have loads of room in this bay surprisingly.

An overview of the bay as it looks now... personally i think we should leave the back window out permanently

Club Technical Advisor

More Mk1 2gr madness from today, i found a 1mz camry expansion bottle is the perfect size and shape for the job...

Also made the first part of the induction pipework with MAF mounting boss on it...

The supported shaft needed its bearing relocating towards the diff as do all 2gr swaps...

The view from underneath...

A reminder of just how good Marcs mounting kit is....

So the engine is now totally plumbed up, clutch line adapter made, gear cables modified at the stick and speedo cable routed....all we have left to do is...

Driveshafts

Frankenstein Motorworks rear hubs

Exhaust

Battery relocation

Wiring

Brakes

Engine lid

WS alloy rad upgrade

Boot access panel

Refit rear window,bootlid,side panels

Tacho correction

Wheels

fast work
    i love how other jap car parts come inot use and fit where needed

Club Technical Advisor

Yeah that is the one thing i really love about Toyotas, so many parts are useable from other cars, it's almost like Toyota wanted this to happen

Club Technical Advisor

Today saw 90% of the wiring completed, this corner is where the ECU is going to live, i still need to make brackets for it etc but it's a nice dry corner away from the engine bay heat.

The ITG air filter now fitted...

Engine bay overview...

Here is our chosen exhaust for this project, a Mk2 HKS system, it is the only one that satisfies all of Dirans requirements, has a low key look about it (ish!) , good silencers on it so shouldn't be too loud (fingers crossed) and has the smallest tips i could find (DM hates big bin lids).

It has a 2.5" inlet on it, which has been our only concession, i know it should be 3" to take full advantage of the 2gr but i could not find anything 3" that ticked all of the other boxes, so this system is the best compromise. I am going to remove the cut out from the drivers side valence and respray it so it looks equal both sides.

Club Technical Advisor

Today we got the Frankenflanges fitted with new wheel bearings and seals, Marc has done a great job here, this is the hub fitted and complete Mk2 turbo driveshaft inserted....

Also today we managed a bit of a first, we did talk yesterday about the possibility of using the camry torque mount shock absorber on an Mr2, well it turned out to be easier than i thought. The shock itself only works in a "pull" fashion, so it has hardly any resistance compressing it like a regular suspension shock, it's resistance is all when pulling it, so it has to go on the front torque mount to do its job properly.

Here it is tack welded in situ, i have adapted the camry top mount onto the Mr2 torque mount bracket and modified the aw11 lower mount with a braced bolt and mounting tube. I think this is great and could end up being the next big mod on all conversions.

As you know by now this is just the tack welded mocked up stage, it needs removing and painting. I also need to make a nice aluminium heatshield for it because the exhaust will run nearby.

There are a lot of first time mods on this car but it really is coming together now.

Club Technical Advisor

Today saw the WS TD lid painted, still needs a flat and polish but this is one lovely colour.... we also meshed the vents, which will be done black.

Also today work started on the Woodsport Aluminium rad upgrade, this is the same kit i developed for my Mk1 V8 and when i have worked out all of the details will be available as a kit for homebuilders. It's 50mm thick and held my V8 at 90* with very little fan use and no air flowing through it.... a thing of beauty in my opinion.