Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Intro to My New Car (Mk1.5 Turbo) - Picture Heavy!

Hybrid View

Daft little job; relocating the ECU diagnostic port and other attached sensors so that they don't get rained on:

It used to be visible under here:

Next up was some unforseen work! I bought some new tyres and went for a slightly taller profile as my speedo had been over-reading by a bit too much and I wanted to bring it in line with the Mk2's rolling radius. I went from 225/40/R16 to 225/45/R16 tyres so didn't think there would be an issue. Basically the new tyres were scraping like a bitch on the wheel arch! Not sure if softer sidewalls added to the equation. I limped the car back to work at 5-10mph, as I'd popped out on a lunch break, and went on the hunt for a tool to fix it. I did look at people offering arch rolling services but they wanted £60-80 per corner and I could buy a tool for rougly the price of getting one arch done! I had the tool delivered the next day back home to Beverley and so I just made some slight modifications to the arches and turned up the Koni's to full hard to allow me to get from Sheffield to Beverley.

Shiny new toy!

Not bad for a first attempt! - Notice the Movember tache, lol!

More roll and tache!

The lips were filled with underseal before being folded over and were then painted over also.

If anyone wants to borrow the roller, let me know!

Cheers,
    Tom

Some photo's after a quick wash:

Exhausts not straight, grr... got a new full stainless system going on next week!

Snow:

That brings us nearly up to date, just a couple more jobs to go!

Picking up a new door frame set:

New clutch time!

All stuff disconnected from the top side of the engine, gearbox oil drained, drive shafts and hubs removed:

Some gearbox bolts a pig to get to from the top (under all that pipework!):

Gearbox dropped:

Old cover plate:

New clutch and cover plate on. Notice the patent pending clutch alignment tool!

The actual clutch plate wasn't that worn but there was play in the release bearing and the cover plate flaps were quite 'flat', which is what was probably causing the slip.

I also changed a CV boot that needed doing and replaced a ball joint that was looking a bit tired.

It took longer than I'd planned to do it but it was a good learning exercise and I saved some good pennies by doing it myself, with a little help from friends!
    Last edited by tommundy; 20th April 2012 at 12:33 PM.

New chargecooler pump fitment:

The old pump had died and so needed replacing. Thankfully I have a water temperature gauge for the charge cooler so knew the moment it had failed! I used this as an opportunity to mount the new pump properly as the old pump had just been held in place by the pipes it was feeding. This is how it was when I bought the car and had just been 'one of those jobs' that you never seem to get round to doing.

I'm glad it's done properly now though!

The pump was an auxiliary pump from a Vauxhall Frontera!

It was very easy to bleed as you could move the pump around before bolting it to the gearbox. I used the mounting holes that are used to mount the Celica ST205 chargecooler pump so it's nice and out of the way of road debris etc. I just made up a bracket out of some dexion I had laying around.

Before the summer I'll replace all the clear hose for proper radiator hose as it's wall thickness isn't the best! Saying that, it's never come close to overheating in the 2 1/2 years I've had it, but I'd rather be able to fit the proper hose and then forget about it!

Nice work.

I really want a ride in this car!!

Brave man rolling the arches on a mk1 too. I need mine doing... 8s + coilovers don't leave much gap.

Cheers FossMan! I'm close to the point now where I can start thinking about any body modifications that I want to do before a respray. I'll be staying black as although it's a pig to keep clean, when it is clean it looks fantastic! I'd love some dishy wheels but my front brakes mean I'm very limited for choice, doh!

I'll be at JAE, Donington, Tatton etc. If the opportunity arises you're more than welcome to pop out with me for a quick blast.

Yeh, I still can't believe the tyre situation. Some 225 wide tyres must actually be 235 or 245! Let me know if you're feeling brave yourself and want to borrow the roller!

Cheers,
    Tom
    Last edited by tommundy; 23rd April 2012 at 06:57 PM.