Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Intro to My New Car (Mk1.5 Turbo) - Picture Heavy!

Re: Late Intro to My New Car (Mk1.5 Turbo)

I like the pods on the window bit but not sure about the middles ones, but it could be argued i have crap taste anyway
    I agree that its hard to find places for them if you are going the whole hog with guages of absolutely everything.
    I popped our boost guage just above the window wiper switch, as it was a small compact housing and guage - i think from demon tweeks. can't find a photo just now.

nicer to have made your own (apart from the blood-loss!)

Great work the interior is ace, as is the whole car of course. Cheers Richard

hi tom your car looks amazing and sounds like it goes just as well.
    Will be good to have a look round it at JAE lol.
    So do you think that the charge cooler has made a difference compared to an intercooler?
    Just to say i like the air intake on the engine side pannel, its a nice touch.

Happy boosting

Bex.

MR2 Newbie

Hello Tom
    Congrats on The Car it looks Wicked, Awesome!
    Trev

Thanks for the comments all, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by mk1bexwa
    So do you think that the charge cooler has made a difference compared to an intercooler?
    I cant really comment as I've only ever had the charge cooler; but I hit full boost at just over 2500 revs so it's fairly rapid. I think the charge cooler helps give the engine a very torquey nature as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1bexwa
    Just to say i like the air intake on the engine side pannel, its a nice touch.
    Hehe, it certainly divides people that's for sure. People either think it looks really mean or like it's just about to fall off! It will probably be going once I make myself a better ventilated engine lid; give it a more sleeper look.

I'll put an update up on what I've been upto on the car lately this week hopefully.

Cheers again,
    Tom

Right, it's about time I updated this thread! Nearly 2 years of fettling to update you guys and girls on and plenty of miles under her belt. I'll try and get it into some kind of chronological order but there may be the odd few things missing.

It's been my only car and daily driver for the past six months and has been fantastic... apart from tackling Sheffield's cratered roads, lol.

Cheers,
    Tom

First, some fun from before last summer:

Last edited by tommundy; 2nd April 2012 at 06:05 PM.

I'd been considering various options for a brake upgrade for a while on my Mk1.5 but the bigger celica upgrade would have meant possibly getting new front wheels as I run 15" at the front and 16" at the back. Then one day on IMOC I saw a Hi-Spec brake kit advertised at a great price and snapped it up, much to the annoyance of a few other guys, hehe. The Hi-Spec kit is very impressive and features 310mm x 28mm rotors on aluminium bells. This along with the lightweight 4-pot calipers means that the whole setup weighs exactly the same as the standard Celica ST162 setup I had fitted previously, winner!

The kit came with Ferodo DS3000 pads, which in comparison to my rear pads and in combination with the now huge front brakes meant locking up was quite easy. It didn't help that I first got them fitted this time last year and we weren't so lucky with the weather. Anyway, more work on those later on as I went on to fit a Hilux 1" master cylinder, gut the bias valve and refurb the rear calipers along with new discs on the back and yellowstuff pads all round. It now stops amazingly well! I need to do a track day to get used to them as there aren't that many opportunities on the road to give them the abuse they deserve and I normally brake far too early for corners. Although I prefer to carry speed through corners rather than braking then accelerating. Anyhow... onwards with the thread:

Old setup:

Dirty arch:

Clean arch:

New setup (I swapped over the discs so they were the correct rotation after this picture):

2-3mm clearance from caliper to the inside of the wheel and a surprisingly large gap to the spokes. Just goes to show what good caliper design can give you.

Cheers,
    Tom

Next up was a job that no Mk1 owner really wants to do but it's necessary every now and then... checking for rust!

It looked fine before I started, oops!

The passenger side arch and sill were solid so I left them alone. The inner arch was solid too, which is always good news!

I go and see the wizard, Gary, a little later in the thread to sort out the arch.

Next up was Tetrosealing the rear arches and the fitment of a Mk2 MR2 20mm rear anti roll bar, which was done by using some front mk1b brackets, slightly modified front ARB bushes from a Ford Transit and a little drilling out of the mk1b bracket mount holes: