Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Intro to My New Car (Mk1.5 Turbo) - Picture Heavy!

Late Intro to My New Car (Mk1.5 Turbo) - Picture Heavy!

Hi all,

Well I guess it's better late than never to introduce my new car! I picked it up in September/October and it's actually Ki's old Mk1.5 turbo that was done up at Woodsport.

I got it off a guy down in Hatfield, north of London who was selling as he wasn't using it enough plus was getting married. Got the train down there on a belting hot day and was met by the owner and I think about 2 minutes later after I felt it boost for the first time I was sold! I had a little test drive then we did the paper work and I set off back up north. I took it fairly steadily on the way back just getting used to it but I did give in to temptation down a motorway sliproad and an M3 was duly shown the arse end of a 1988 MR2, hehe. It even managed 30mpg on the journey back upto Sheffield then onto York the following day.

Below is a brief spec list:

2 Litre Rev 2 Turbo Engine
    Hybrid CT26 Turbo
    Apexi AVCR (2 settings, one @ .7 and one @ 1 bar)
    HKS FCD
    HKS Turbo Timer
    Fully Polybushed
    Koni Adjustable Suspension on 35mm Lower Springs
    ST162 Front Brakes with Green Stuff Pads
    22v (MK2 Turbo) Rear Brakes
    Stainless Brake Hoses
    Celica ST205 Chargecooler
    Colder Spark Plugs
    Daft Quad Exit Stainless Exhaust
    Decatted
    LSD Short Ratio Gearbox
    Team Dynamics Wheels with Toyo T1R Rubber
    Bucket Seats and CG Locks on the belts
    Momo Steering Wheel
    T-Bar Front Strut Brace

I'll hopefully get it rolling roaded in a month or so and 240-250bhp would be nice to see.

Since getting it I've done the front brakes as above, replaced all the silicon/vacuum engine hoses, fed it plenty of nice oil, remounted the boost solenoid to a better position, refitted an OEM re-circ dump valve, changed plugs, swapped a coolant pipe and fitted clear front indicators plus all the other odds jobs you do to a standard car. I've also nearly finished some custom A pillar and centre dash gauge pods so I'll have chargecooler water temp, engine water temp, boost and oil temp all angled nicely at the driver.

It's certainly been used and I did 1000 miles in the first week of getting it (including a run out with a friend in his Boxster S in heavy rain in which it performed exceedingly well). I've already got to phone my insurance company to get the 5000 mile annual limit increased! (This included it being in the garage for 2 months, hehe) Just worked out that's roughly 42 miles per day average including days I wasn't using it!

Here are a few pics of it on it's travels:

Old engine pic; will get a new one @ the weekend:

The performance is fantastic, yet it will happily sit on the motorway. Although 70 to 110 leptons can be done way too easily, hehe. Also, it's my first turbo powered car and although I'm sure the chargecooler helps with the turbo lag, on the low boost setting at least it really isn't that hard to drive. So long as you feed the power in and feel the power it's fine, but I do that with any car anyway.

Hopefully this month I'll find time to give it the proper clay, polish and wax treatment but to be honest I've been too busy just enjoying it until now. (I only sorted out the dodgy one number plate stuck on another on Saturday )

I'll be at plenty of shows this year so feel free to have a nosey and if the situation arises I'll happily take you out for a quick blast.

Anyway, that's it for now!

Over and out.

B-b-b-b-b-booooooooooooooooooooost!

Cheers,
    Tom
    Last edited by tommundy; 4th April 2012 at 07:09 PM.

Re: Late Intro to My New Car (Mk1.5 Turbo)

That looks like a lovely car Tom - I gotta agree, after getting my Supra (also around 250bhp, but in a much heavier body), boost is slightly addictive!

Will you be at JAE this year? If so I'll definitely come and have a nosey. Also, what was that exhast originally attached to?

cool
    great car. i saw it when Ki had it. wondered where it was now.

sounds a hoot. esp MMC seeing the snow pic - bet that was fun.

Tom took me for a ride in it last year and it scared the **** out of me.

I have driven most things from a single seat racing car to a Chieftan battle tank so it might be different if I was driving.

Douglas

Cheers guys.

Yep Ben, will be at JAE! Not sure on the exhaust front, would be interesting to find out.

I like the snow pic, obviously weren't going to break any land speed records that day but some Magnum PI style power slides were most definitely had. Not sure what it would have been like without the LSD but it was on grass under the snow on that pic and it got off without too much drama.

Next month will be a busy one as I have runs out on all weekends.

It's just crying out for another gear; hopefully Paul will come up with something!

Tara for now.

Cheers,
    Tom

hi tom, the car looks fantastic mate i cant wait to see this car in action , i have just got a supercharger but no way will it keep up with your monster , dont forget your block of wood to put under the throttle pedal for the lakes run or we will not see you for dust . see you soon

gary

Cheers Gary. I have to say you're like a one man Mk1 saving army, very proud to know you.

Anyway, thought I'd give a quick update on what I've been upto on my car over the last few months.

I've been knocking a few more odd jobs on the head over the past few weeks that include:

Replace more hidden vac pipes for preventative maintenance
    Fitted new alternator belt
    Fitted a new mech speedo drive (finally )
    Finished off centre dash and A pillar pod gauges with pods installed (my poor fingertips!)
    Oil cooler, cam cover and distributor gaskets replaced by Pete @ SBits
    New distributor as the shaft on the old one was sheared!
    Refurbed wiper arms, wind deflector and C pillar trim
    Sorted a few niggling rattles with my trusty screwdriver
    Oil n filter change with 15w50 fully synth
    Gave the brakes an inspection and greased up the sliders (ooh err missus)

Managed to pick up a chip on my windscreen on the motorway last week and it's looking like a new screen so will decide whether to go through insurance or not for that. I've heard horror stories of them not getting put back in properly and rusting along the top edge of the screen.

On the to do list over the summer is tidy up the front end paintwork and tiny bit of bubbling around the rear arches before it spreads. Also may skip the st185 brake upgrade from my current st162 setup and go straight to st205... just need 16" wheels up from as they're only 15's at the moment (16's already on the back).

Got time to give it a quick clay bar and a single coat of SRP. Will have to find time to give it a good few coats and some nice wax as well at some point. Didn't come up too badly:

That's it for now.

Cheers,
    Tom

ooh looking tasty

the different sized wheels remind me of lotus etc.
    15"s might give you quicker turn-in

have you any pics of your pods install? it took me ages to decide where to pop a boost guage in my old sc.

Cheers Jo.

I couldn't find any off the shelf pods for the Mk1 so decided to make some up myself. Learnt a lot using hot glue, expandy foam, fibreglass and easy sand filler but I'm happy enough with the results. I had to stop sanding once when I noticed some red dots appearing on the filler then realised it was my fingertips bleeding!

See you if can spot the recycled petrol filler cap.

The office:

What do people think?

Cheers,
    Tom

** Banned User **

Toyota does a different final drive that would make it a bit better in top but you would loose some acceleration someone on imoc is selling all the gears for this mod