Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Intro to My New Car (Mk1.5 Turbo) - Picture Heavy!

Hybrid View

Late Intro to My New Car (Mk1.5 Turbo) - Picture Heavy!

Hi all,

Well I guess it's better late than never to introduce my new car! I picked it up in September/October and it's actually Ki's old Mk1.5 turbo that was done up at Woodsport.

I got it off a guy down in Hatfield, north of London who was selling as he wasn't using it enough plus was getting married. Got the train down there on a belting hot day and was met by the owner and I think about 2 minutes later after I felt it boost for the first time I was sold! I had a little test drive then we did the paper work and I set off back up north. I took it fairly steadily on the way back just getting used to it but I did give in to temptation down a motorway sliproad and an M3 was duly shown the arse end of a 1988 MR2, hehe. It even managed 30mpg on the journey back upto Sheffield then onto York the following day.

Below is a brief spec list:

2 Litre Rev 2 Turbo Engine
    Hybrid CT26 Turbo
    Apexi AVCR (2 settings, one @ .7 and one @ 1 bar)
    HKS FCD
    HKS Turbo Timer
    Fully Polybushed
    Koni Adjustable Suspension on 35mm Lower Springs
    ST162 Front Brakes with Green Stuff Pads
    22v (MK2 Turbo) Rear Brakes
    Stainless Brake Hoses
    Celica ST205 Chargecooler
    Colder Spark Plugs
    Daft Quad Exit Stainless Exhaust
    Decatted
    LSD Short Ratio Gearbox
    Team Dynamics Wheels with Toyo T1R Rubber
    Bucket Seats and CG Locks on the belts
    Momo Steering Wheel
    T-Bar Front Strut Brace

I'll hopefully get it rolling roaded in a month or so and 240-250bhp would be nice to see.

Since getting it I've done the front brakes as above, replaced all the silicon/vacuum engine hoses, fed it plenty of nice oil, remounted the boost solenoid to a better position, refitted an OEM re-circ dump valve, changed plugs, swapped a coolant pipe and fitted clear front indicators plus all the other odds jobs you do to a standard car. I've also nearly finished some custom A pillar and centre dash gauge pods so I'll have chargecooler water temp, engine water temp, boost and oil temp all angled nicely at the driver.

It's certainly been used and I did 1000 miles in the first week of getting it (including a run out with a friend in his Boxster S in heavy rain in which it performed exceedingly well). I've already got to phone my insurance company to get the 5000 mile annual limit increased! (This included it being in the garage for 2 months, hehe) Just worked out that's roughly 42 miles per day average including days I wasn't using it!

Here are a few pics of it on it's travels:

Old engine pic; will get a new one @ the weekend:

The performance is fantastic, yet it will happily sit on the motorway. Although 70 to 110 leptons can be done way too easily, hehe. Also, it's my first turbo powered car and although I'm sure the chargecooler helps with the turbo lag, on the low boost setting at least it really isn't that hard to drive. So long as you feed the power in and feel the power it's fine, but I do that with any car anyway.

Hopefully this month I'll find time to give it the proper clay, polish and wax treatment but to be honest I've been too busy just enjoying it until now. (I only sorted out the dodgy one number plate stuck on another on Saturday )

I'll be at plenty of shows this year so feel free to have a nosey and if the situation arises I'll happily take you out for a quick blast.

Anyway, that's it for now!

Over and out.

B-b-b-b-b-booooooooooooooooooooost!

Cheers,
    Tom
    Last edited by tommundy; 4th April 2012 at 07:09 PM.

Right, it's about time I updated this thread! Nearly 2 years of fettling to update you guys and girls on and plenty of miles under her belt. I'll try and get it into some kind of chronological order but there may be the odd few things missing.

It's been my only car and daily driver for the past six months and has been fantastic... apart from tackling Sheffield's cratered roads, lol.

Cheers,
    Tom

First, some fun from before last summer:

Last edited by tommundy; 2nd April 2012 at 06:05 PM.

I'd been considering various options for a brake upgrade for a while on my Mk1.5 but the bigger celica upgrade would have meant possibly getting new front wheels as I run 15" at the front and 16" at the back. Then one day on IMOC I saw a Hi-Spec brake kit advertised at a great price and snapped it up, much to the annoyance of a few other guys, hehe. The Hi-Spec kit is very impressive and features 310mm x 28mm rotors on aluminium bells. This along with the lightweight 4-pot calipers means that the whole setup weighs exactly the same as the standard Celica ST162 setup I had fitted previously, winner!

The kit came with Ferodo DS3000 pads, which in comparison to my rear pads and in combination with the now huge front brakes meant locking up was quite easy. It didn't help that I first got them fitted this time last year and we weren't so lucky with the weather. Anyway, more work on those later on as I went on to fit a Hilux 1" master cylinder, gut the bias valve and refurb the rear calipers along with new discs on the back and yellowstuff pads all round. It now stops amazingly well! I need to do a track day to get used to them as there aren't that many opportunities on the road to give them the abuse they deserve and I normally brake far too early for corners. Although I prefer to carry speed through corners rather than braking then accelerating. Anyhow... onwards with the thread:

Old setup:

Dirty arch:

Clean arch:

New setup (I swapped over the discs so they were the correct rotation after this picture):

2-3mm clearance from caliper to the inside of the wheel and a surprisingly large gap to the spokes. Just goes to show what good caliper design can give you.

Cheers,
    Tom

Next up was a job that no Mk1 owner really wants to do but it's necessary every now and then... checking for rust!

It looked fine before I started, oops!

The passenger side arch and sill were solid so I left them alone. The inner arch was solid too, which is always good news!

I go and see the wizard, Gary, a little later in the thread to sort out the arch.

Next up was Tetrosealing the rear arches and the fitment of a Mk2 MR2 20mm rear anti roll bar, which was done by using some front mk1b brackets, slightly modified front ARB bushes from a Ford Transit and a little drilling out of the mk1b bracket mount holes:

Some more nose cone sanding:

Off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of... erm... Buxton?

Half a Nissan Cherry arch was used. When I got back home it was undersealed under and inside the arch.

Right, that's installments 1-6 done; I'll be uploading another 16 over the week so stay tuned in.

Any comments, questions, queries... fire away!

Cheers,
    Tom

To aid in working on my car, as normal jacks just don't go under it and I've had a couple of the £20 specials fail on me in the past, I invested in a big jack!

It goes all the way under the back and onto the rear engine mount so I can lift the back end up to get axle stands under it.

It's so nice to use and if I ever have to use the 'normal' sized jack for anything it feels like it takes ages to do anything!