Thread: Wanted MR2 Mechanically fine.

MR2 Newbie

Wanted MR2 Mechanically fine.

I'm looking to but a MK1 MR2 that's pretty good condition and needs some minor work doing. I would like to restore the car but since I have 0 experience of this I don't want something that's totally beyond me and I'll just ruin and have to sell in parts.

I'm looking to spend around £350 and would like somethig where the engine and gear box are both fine. Also since I have never done anything like this before if anyone reading this would like to give me advice, tips or anything else I would love to hear it.

Thanks

Liam

Re: Wanted MR2 Mechanically fine.

Quote Originally Posted by laam69
    if anyone reading this would like to give me advice, tips or anything else I would love to hear it.
    Learn how to weld

Seriously, have a read of the buyers' guide on this website (not the forum bit). Rust will be the biggest factor in a restoration job - it's very common to find mechanically sound cars held together by tinworm and air

MR2 Newbie

To be able to do this car myself, or mostly myself I think welding is something I'd need to learn, there is a welding night course at the local college that I'm going to sign up for along with a basic vehicle maintenance one I'll also do since it won't hurt to do it. I need to start somewhere so these courses seem a great place for that start.

Thanks anyway, was humming and haring about the welding course.

MR2 Newbie

Thanks for your enquiry regarding mine, I'm sorry but you'd be massively disappointed in it as it is as described - immaculate.

So there would be no need for welding or mechanical maintenance, like me, you could spend your time polishing and drooling though!

You'd also need to re-think your budget too.

Kind Regards,

MR2 Newbie

I know it'll be out of my price range and need nothing doing but I'm just trying to gain a feel for relative prices for conditions, I'm staring to think saving for a better one may be the better option but I jut wanna now how much I would have to save

Hi,

I have an MR2 mk1 for sale if you are interested.

It was fully restored about 7 years ago but has been stood for the last few years so needs a bit of work. Connected the battery up before Christmas and it started first time.

I'll pm you my details.