Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joint events in Ireland??

Joint events in Ireland??

Hey guys hows things in the MK1 world???

Firstly, you have to excuse me registering on your site. I know from experience (that day at Banbridge leisure centre) that you are all very proud of your MR2's ... and rightly so. Loved the right up in the MR2only mag and you even gave myself and Bunty a mention

Now, onto the reason why I joined this site. I was recently made a Regional Rep for Ireland (for mr2oc.co.uk). Along with the other rep (Kyle aka GWrinkle) we have planned out a years worth of activities (ish). For the majority of events this year we have joined forces with the guys on http://www.mr2.ie with the ultimate plan being a meet organised for the first Sunday in each month roughly alternating between Northern and Southern Ireland.

While I obviously believe the MK2 is the best looking car in the range it is till nice to see the beginnings of the best Japanese sports car ever made. With this in mind I would like to invite any of the MR2MK1Club along to any of our drives or events. The list below shows what we have planned so far. I will try to keep this thread up to date as things change or are updated. If the links don't work then you might need to register on the MR2OC site.

DRIVES

Sun 7th February - Kilkenny drive with MR2.ie

Sun 7th March - Fermanagh Lakes afternoon tea

Sun 4th April - MR2.ie event t.b.c.

Thurs 15th – Mon 19th April Highlands Drive

Sun 2nd May - t.b.c.

Sun 6th June - 2nd Annual Antrim Coast Road and BBQ

Sun 4th July - Welsh Drive?? or MR2.ie event

Sun 1st August - Mournes, ards and lunch

Sun 5th September - MR2.ie event t.b.c.

Fri 10th – Mon 13th September Ireland Drive

Sun 3rd October - Lough Neagh (click for proposed route)

Sun 7th November - t.b.c.

Sun 5th December - Christmas lunch

OTHER EVENTS

February - on Friday 5th - The post christmas blues boozy night out

More nights at the pub

Ice Karting - date t.b.c.

Ten pin bowling - date t.b.c.

Also, thought about trying to organise a Track Day and/or Dyno day

All that I would need to know is roughly how many cars are expected to each event within about 3 weeks of the date - rough numbers only. This is due to the parades commission notification that we need to put in and the quantity is better too high than too low.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to get people over to the MR2OC website nor am I trying to tread on any other events organisers toes. I am simply extending the hand of MR2 friendship.

I hope to see some of you at the first couple of drives ... or the pub in a couple of weeks time

MR2 Fan

Re: Joint events in Ireland??

Hey Spanky,

I have to agree with you on the looks dept, I think a tastefully modded probe IS a handsome car but we're gonna have to disagree about the "best Jap sports car" bit...altho I'm happy to continue this debate over a pint or two

With that in mind, if the Welsh run turns out to be a go-er, you can definitely add me to the list!

Probe is that MK1 owners speak for the wonderful MK2 MR2

The beginning of the best jap sports car comment was also a compliment to you guys ... my mum always liked "the little square one" but I am of a different era and I recently converted her with a woosh and hiss of the tubby

The Wales trip may not be happening. We have two other multi-day events this year and finances are a little tight for some. With this in mind, we are toying with the idea of organising an drive for summer 2011 to do the 'big country' justice.

That said, I might head over with the wife for a night or two if I can convince my mum to part with the Tesco vouchers for the boat trip

When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just get in your MR2 and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the drive you are taking."

MR2 Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MR2MK1

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyblue

I'm confused guys

Does this mean to don't approve with my choice of 2?
    or
    me converting my mum to tubby power?
    or
    that you don't want to consider any events with us?

Your emoticon to text ratio is too high for me to understand

A couple of pics to get the conversation going

Its beauty and the beast (which is which??????????)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky
    Its beauty and the beast (which is which??????????)
    I don't think you'll get many great responses with a line like that at a Mk1 Club!
    Frankly I think the Mk2 is a beautiful car and wouldn't mind one as more of a motorway miles blaster. But I'd be hard pushed to trade my Mk1 for one as I still prefer the Mk1 and think it's also a beautiful car. So I think they're both beauties (certainly, when I see my sis's Mk2 (she used to have a MK1 before, which she misses greatly) I stand and stare for a few moments) but can't stop myself smiling whenever I look at a Mk1. So :P
    Click here for Forum How-tos
    Also follow the above link for web/forum contact info.

I'm always up for a bit of banter, Monkeymax :P

I actually agree with you ... the MK1 is the beauty and mine is the beast. Obviously, I dont mean beast in the ugly sense more the 'oh you dirty beast' that I say when I getting the turbo spooling up and the oh so loud dump valve doing its work

Someday I will be man enough to own a MK1, but I think I need a second garage first and then get the wife to an even higher state of understanding

The one thing we will definitely all agree with is that the MK3 is the ugly sister of the MR2 family.

I hope that some of the Irish members join us for our events, its always good to get a mixture of the different MKs.

Can we keep it friendly please guys