Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Aberdeen

Hi from Aberdeen

Hi Just joined the club, brought a 1988 T bar white a few months back. It had been standing in a mates garage for 10 years rotting away. So I brought it. My wife had one 20 years ago when I met her, it was one of the attractions.

It's been on the road for a two months now, and I have been doing bits as a running restoration. Wheel arches were shabby but not rotted through, so they are done, it needed a new lower rear panel on the passengers side, brought the panel on ebay and had it done at a local body shop professionaly. Wish my spraying was as good them, as they did it on the whole rear wing.

Bonnet is rotten at the front around the latch, so that's next, if I can find a good one. I repaired the outside and re sprayed so looks Ok but you hear the rattle of falling rust when you open the bonnet.

Just keep going round finding small rust spots and treating them ,but have not found anything major yet, Dreading taking off the side skirts as I can see some rot on the sil at the rear may be not that bad as it went throught the MOT, thats a winter job, it's coming off the road, as an Aberdeen winter would see it off, to much salt on the roads.

Mechanically everything seems Ok so far, small leak of oil to investigate, and need to change the coolant and flush it out as it's a bit brown.

Will take a look at the forum and pick up some tips, one thing, I've re built a few motor bikes Jap Classics and spares are easy to buy online with full parts list and references. I cannot seem to find anything like this for new parts for the MK1 MR2 any advice on resources would be greatly welcome diagrams with part number and alike.

Used ebay for some replacement second hand bits that where fine. So it looks pretty good so far will post some pic's when finished.

Enough waffel for now

Re: Hi from Aberdeen

Welcome Graham

Sounds like you've got yourself a nice project there - any pics of the work so far would be very well-received by certain members (ie me ) who need a kick up the backside to deal with things that need doing!

Also, check out www.toyodiy.com for details of any part numbers you might need. Any other questions, stick a post up in the relevent section here and I'm sure the technical brigade will answer any questions you have

there's a pretty good online EPC (Electronic Parts Catalogue) here CLICKY A lot of parts are available from your local motor factors, some parts are Mr T (Toyota) only. 2nd hand parts from eBay and from the various the MR2 forums For Sale sections, also Crazylegs and Jinxy on here can supply parts as well. Have a look for some Scottish meets ( on here and the other forums) and get yourself along to one.
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Thanks for the link for the parts knew it must be out there somewhere

Cheers,

G

MR2 Fan

Hi Graham and welcome, will look out for you around the Toon I work in Aberdeen through the week and home to Edinburgh at the weekends, occassionally bring my mk1 up for a change from the oil burner barge that I use most of the time.

Your oil leak might be from the distributor seal very common on mk1's and mines no different.

Good luck with the project

Alan

MR2 Newbie

Hi Graham,
    Nice to hear from someone in the local area. I am about 30 miles North of Aberdeen. I use my 1990 MK1 to get to work in Altens every Friday. However it's currently off the road waiting delivery and fitting of new outer sills, both sides, new wing section front offside, 2 new wheel arches at the back, new timing belt, a lick of paint. Then an MOT. All going to plan it should be back on the road at the end of August.
    I will keep looking out for you.
    Gordon

a few Mr2 about in Aberdeenshire shall keep my eyes open for them, I work in Kintore. The mr2 was brought manily for the wife but I've become hooked again so any excuse to take it to work to do some more fixes.
    I'll post a few pictures if I can work out how.
    Cheers,
    Graham

Just getting the griff on this up loading pictures

Here we go again better picture, I am better with a can of WD 40 and a set of spanners.

Re: Just getting the griff on this up loading pictures

Looks very nice! Just like mine but with better arches from the looks of things!

edit: I see you've managed to make 3 threads now