Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Mk1 2zz-ge conversion interest.

Re: Mk1 2zz-ge conversion interest.

Brilliant job !!

Looking at all the posts on this subject, I have an S1 Elise but miss my Mk1 like crazy at the moment (it has been laid up in a sorry state for over 3 years now). The Elise and the Mk1 have so much in common with each other I place equal value on both one is not better than the other. One thing I will say is that a "shed" of a mk1 will outlast a "shed" of an Elise. Unless you pay upward of 10k for a good S1 Elise you will have all manor of spend to come.

Last night (fueled on by monitoring your conversion) I hooked up a battery to the mk1, turned on the ignition, watched all the lights come up bright as the battery loaded, turned the key and to my utter amazement after only 2 or 3 cranks she sprung into life ! its been over 2 years since that engine last ran ! and it has 250k plus on it and never had the head off ! Not bad for a car that until last night has sat under a mound of boxes and stuff and been used to rippen off tomatoes in !! I think she will get a good wash for that !

I don't underestimate the restoration task ahead, she needs alot of welding so it will be a nut and bolt rebuild job all new suspension / brakes etc but I know that i want to increase its power and keep the characteristics. I toiled with the idea of supercharging, then the blacktop but this conversion makes so much sense to me. I don't want to hack the body about so the only thing that is a niggle is the right hand engine mount. I guess there are options for this ? Is a machined block bracket to make the mk1 bracket fit a total non starter ?

I have a lot of saving and searching to do so will probably not start until next year now, but maybe start cleaning and stripping the car to start with this year

Keep up the good work Paul !

Hi,

Forgive my impatience. I would like to enquire as to whether this project has been completed and invite Mr Woods and his client to comment on their satisfaction with the result.

Gentlemen?

Club Technical Advisor

We were very happy with the way the car drove, it was very responsive and revved like a madman, basically the same characteristics as the 4age except more power. The 6 speed box with the LSD we added was perfect for a Mk1 although the position of reverse takes some getting used to.

This build was a big learning curve, even more so than our V6 builds and there are several things we would do differently next time. The torque mounts also require a little fine tuning to get a fine balance between engine movement and chassis vibration. We also found a wiring anomoly in the information that is currently out there that causes a battery drain if followed to the letter.

Needless to say not all internet information should be trusted!

In all we were happy with the outcome on a first time build like this, barring a few teething issues the car drove extremely well and i loved the feeling of it coming on cam when the VVti kicked in.

Mark will no doubt be along to tell you what the car feels like to drive compared to before.

Hi Paul, I'm new to this forum, but seen and read a lot about your work earlier (you are a true Mk1 legend ).

Anyways, I've done a conversion to a Japanese 20V Silvertop engine with Blacktop electronics on my AW11. Being a relatively costly build (probly around 2000£ in total...) I wasn't pleased with it at all really, it was just a bit more power, and a bit nicer sound. To top it off the engine broke down on me 3months after investing all my savings on it...

I was in a bit of a bad mood because of this, and considered either importing another engine or doing a costly rebuild of the one that broke down on me. None of the alternatives would give a huge upgrade in power seeing that I've allready driven a 20v engine and not really understanding the big hype about it. Also it would cost me another shitload of money...

So I woke up this morning and someone at TS-ogn (Toyota Sportscar - OwnersGroup Norway) forum linked to this crazy guy putting a Audi V8 into a AW11. So I just had to read up, and wow what a build.

Midways into the thread you linked into this 2ZZ thread, and thats when my sunday mood changed from mild AW11 drepression to a fiery "Holy **** this is what im gonna do next!!!" mood!

Anyways, thanks for enlightening me on this possibility, I've never considered it an option before, and i must say I truly belive in it! I'm starting a new savings account, and when I have the cash in my hands I'll give you a call and transport my poor AW11 into your workshop.

In the meantime; Keep up the good work!

From up north,
    ArildM

Double post, sorry!

Just thought I’d write a long overdue update to his project.
    We had a few initial problems which is to be expected with a project like this (1st in the country) but I’m very pleased to say that the bugs were ironed out about a month ago and now the car is exactly how I want it.
    First problem was that the custom tubular exhaust manifold (designed for MK3 with 2zz transplant) I bought from Ebay in the states was way too thin and kept cracking. It was welded up in one place then it would just crack again in another place. In the end Paul sorted this for me at his own cost by cutting and shutting a MK3 manifold to suit and using the standard MK3 manifold to engine bracing. I’m very pleased to report there have be no further problems with this since.
    Second problem was that there was a slight gear oil leak from the extended gear selector shaft. Again Paul managed to buy the correct seal from Toyota and this has been bonded on externally now making a oil tight seal. Throughout these problems and other very minor issues Paul has been outstanding with his customer service, always listening and rectifying the issues.
    Anyway, how does it drive?…I decided early on that I wanted the closest ratios available in the gearbox (apart from 6th) with the torsen LSD and I’m very pleased I went for this setup. The traction on take off is great with both wheels digging into the tarmac. When the engine hits 6200rpm the second cam kicks in and the car just lets rip singing around to the 8500rpm cut out. Due to the close ratio box there is a momentary pause after the change to second gear then it hits 6200rpm cam change-over point and it takes off again. 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th are all really close so from 2nd gear on the car never drops out of the high lift cam if all the revs are used. It is very addictive and amazingly fun. There is nothing better than taking it for a blast along known country roads on a quiet Sunday morning, with the engine on the high lift cam the noise is like a group A normally aspirated rally car ï*
    The engine makes more power and torque at all points in the rev range than the standard 4AGE but it still retains and even enhances the high revving nature that makes the Mk1 MR2 so much fun in the first place. As Paul put it it’s like a Mk1 plus. Since this is my everyday car I also wanted it to cruise well on the motorway, be quiet and return decent mpg. I’m pleased to say due to the standard MK2 backbox, standard Mk1 intake and 6th gear it does indeed cruise more quietly than the standard Mk1 and returns about 40mpg at a steady 70 - 80mph. Handling wise due to the LSD this has improved immensely and in the wet I’m now able to hang the rear out around roundabouts and hold it there on the power in a lovely drift. The 2ZZ engine is very light being all alloy and is lighter than the original iron block 4AGE, this has cancelled out the weight of the extra (6th) gear and has maintained the great balance of the standard Mk1 MR2. Paul fitted a full set of poly bushes for me so next week I’ll have the car fully aligned to the TRD settings which should hopefully sharpen the initial turn in a little. Other than that I may experiment with drilling out the poly engine mounts slightly since at the moment there is a little too much vibration at tick-over due to the ridged nature of the mounts.
    Overall though as you’ve probably guessed I’m delighted with this conversion… hats off to Paul at Woodsport for not only creating it but also the backup he’s given me since.

Club Technical Advisor

Many thanks for the superb write up Mark, and good to see that the initial teething problems have been overcome, we got there in the end! (out of interest i'm currently fitting a 2zz into a Starlet and have done the same thing by making an exhaust manifold myself rather than rely on that Ebay stuff)

Hopefully we can catch up in future at a show or meet etc

MR2 Newbie

This looks like something I would be seriously interested in Mr. Woods. Given your prior experience in this swap, what sort of money would you now be looking at to complete this work?

Could you do me rough price on the 2zz conversion plus the 6 speed box and LSD? I also have a good 4-age engine that could be used as a trade in if required, less than 80k miles on the clock.

While it will be well into next year before I contemplate this conversion, a rough idea of the pennies and shillings required would be welcome! Also, what would the timeframe be?

Many thanks,
    Paddy

Club Technical Advisor

Hi Paddy, the donor Celica/Corollas seem to sell from £1000-£1800, so i can't give you an exact quote but at least you will know the ballpark.

The cost of the labour plus all other parts required comes to around £2500, that would include your LSD fitment into the 6 speed box.

So it could be done for as little as £3500 rising to £4300, just depends on the donor cost. Subtract around £600 if you don't want the LSD.

These prices are not totally set in stone, it really depends on the parts cost and what sort of spec you want from the build etc.

Thanks Paul.

MR2 Newbie

Thanks for coming back Paul. Good to have an idea of where I am going in the next 12-18 months with my car.

In the meantime, I will keep a look out for any scrapped 2zz engines this side of the water, may help to bring the cost down.

Cheers,
    Paddy