Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk1 2zz-ge conversion interest.

MR2 Fan

Re: Mk1 2zz-ge conversion interest.

Without being to graphic, I'm almost nursing a semi. Loving it Mr W.

Club Technical Advisor

Cheers steve, it should be pretty good this one!

Club Technical Advisor

Today i sorted the drivers mount out, there were several ways to do it, we looked at making an adapter to go between an upside down Mk1 mount and the Corolla bracket but it was just going to be too long and have too much stress on it, so i wasn't happy with that idea. Instead we made extension plates that are welded onto the chassis mounts, this holds the Mk1 mount in the right place and after we filed out the holes a little the mount went on. The engine now sits perfectly level on all axis. I still have to seam seal and paint the mount but you get the idea. On the next 2zz build i'd probably cut the Mk1 mount off entirely and make the whole thing from scratch, we saved having to drop the engine out again doing it this way. The mount is also working the way it is supposed to (as it is on a 4age), which i like.

Also the rad and heater pipe plumbing is done, nothing hard, just joining A to B...

One of the major parts of this build is constructing all of the gearshift cable assembly.... basically nothing bolts up, do not believe all you read on the internet folks! So i am making the cable bracketry from scratch. This is done by selecting Neutral at the shift levers, and positioning the gearstick right in the centre of the gate and securing it there while the brackets are made. So far i have only managed to make the first parts that the cables clip into, i need to add a lot more support and brackets to this to stop them moving, at the moment they are not secured to anything other than the cables, but the cables themselves have a nice free run without any obstruction at all.

Mark wants this conversion to be quiet, so induction kits and loud exhausts are out. I am making some pipework that runs from the throttle body to the Mk1 airbox, so it should all look very OEM as well...

I have to make a section that fits where the yellow box is, for the Maf meter.

By Friday everything should be done bar the exhaust and wiring.

Club Technical Advisor

Today saw the gear cable bracket assembly finished.... i basically gave up on all of the current information out there on the web at the moment and made my own.

Here it is fitted with the clutch line bracket welded on...

The gearchange works perfectly, nice and slick with no tight spots anywhere, and the beauty of this custom cable assembly means i haven't had to touch a single thing at the stick end, that is all stock. You will notice we have also polybushed the front torque mount, we did the rear one as well.

I also made the Maf adapter...

Here it is fitted with all intake plumbing finished...

Also above the fuel pressure regulator is fitted, this allows the return style Mr2 system to have a working return, plus we can control the pressure.

An overview of the bay now, just wiring and exhaust to go... you will notice i have had to turn the battery 90*, space is tight but it all fits.

Club Technical Advisor

Today saw the last of the plumbing completed, i fitted a Mk2 filler neck which has been T'd into the radiator pipe making this the highest point (vital).

Here is the Mk1 expansion bottle back in its former home, now i had to remove the brake servo pipe and reroute the servo pipework so that left me with a rather nice pipe with brackets on it that lined up nicely with spare holes in the rear firewall, a perfect coolant overflow pipe.... how's that for recycling? Woodsport, helping save the environment lol.

Just exhaust and wiring to go.

Club Technical Advisor

Well after a bit of spaghetti juggling today she fired into life! Still no exhaust fitted so a video will come after i've done that, but it runs.

I had a few issues with missing power feeds from the ISCV and MAF sensor not to mention an immobiliser issue which threw a few surprises but nothing we couldn't overcome. I have had to make a Mk1 oil pressure sensor adapter to screw into the oil filter housing instead of the 2zz idiot light sensor and i have also had to make a water housing that fits inline on one of the rad pipes so we had somewhere to run the coolant temp sensor (for dash gauge).

So just the exhaust to sort and debugging (if any!)

Club Technical Advisor

I took a video today of the engine running, this is on a Mk2 NA rear silencer and a merged downpipe that i forgot to take pics of! Anyway here it is, it is a very quiet engine indeed which mark really insisted on, the camera mic makes it sound a lot louder than it actually is, i promise you it's as quiet as OEM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3LQ0eKiiso

Brilliant! Now just a vid to see it all running, and want to know how it compares seat of the bum feeling to the standard thing! Fantastic work though!
    Click here for Forum How-tos
    Also follow the above link for web/forum contact info.

Paul you're a star!!
    Superb work, I've just watched that video 5 times and its just how I wanted the transplant to be. I know the OEM intake and exhaust are probably not to everyone's tastes but the point is I expressed my wishes to Paul and he made it happen. His communication throughout the project has been faultless and the end result is a car that I can enjoy everyday with no downsides and about 70bhp more
    Also, I don't know much about Durham but I know now I can't wait to go there!

Club Technical Advisor

Pics of the Mk2 NA exhaust....

The Y pipe merge i made...

I noticed the rear firewall getting quite hot around the exhaust, and the ECU is on the other side of that wall, so i added a chequer plate shield around the exhaust, looks a bit industrial but this build is function over form.

I also stuck a bit on the back of the ECU for good measure...

I suppose i could move the ECU, but it is bolted in the stock Mk1 position and moving it is a pain in the ass.

During running up we have noticed some heatsoak issues at idle only, either the 2zz water pump is not up to the job on a Mk1 or we have a dodgy thermostat, so i've ordered a new stat and hopefully that will cure it.