Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk1 2zz-ge conversion interest.

Club Technical Advisor

Re: Mk1 2zz-ge conversion interest.

Ah a common misconception is that a bigger engine requires better brakes, this is not the case, speed is speed regardless of wether it is v8 powered or lawnmower engine powered, your brakes do not need to do any extra work to reduce the car from 100mph to zero if you have more BHP,in fact you could have a gazillion BHP and still use the same brakes.

It is the extra weight of a bigger engine that requires a brake upgrade, more weight= more inertia thrown forward during braking, more friction and more effort required by the brakes to bring the extra weight to a stop.

The 2zz is going to be about the same weight as a 4age give or take 10 kgs so no brake upgrade needed.A nice st165 celica twin pot conversion always works very well though regardless.

MR2 Fan

i wondered that but just put it down to that if you've got more power you'll use it, and so will want to stop a bit quicker. the quicker you stop, the quicker you can speed off and do it all over again

Club Technical Advisor

Our first 2zz mk1 is now booked in for around 5-6 weeks time, should be a stonking conversion that one! I will do a build thread here to cover it when it happens.

RE The Elise comments; I had a brand new Exige II and although it drove fab, it fell to bits (thankfully within the Warranty period) - give me a classic MR2 MK1 anyday

I'd definitely like to have this conversion at some point soon. Will it be much noisier thank the standard engine?

Cheers,

Dom

Club Technical Advisor

All depends on the exhaust used, it can be kept factory quiet with the correct system

Club Technical Advisor

Just to let you know we have now got the 2zz-ge Mk1 project at the garage, we have the 2zz-ge already removed from the Corolla T-sport donor, should be a nice conversion!

MR2 Lurker

..if I ever get my T-bar's tinworm sorted out, I`ll be salivating for such an upgrade. Sounds really good, re: only 10kgs heavier than the standard lump. Swift and light - nice!

Club Technical Advisor

We have now converted the Corolla gearbox into an Mr2 friendly box by moving the shift linkage to the front of the gearbox, i've also installed a Mk3 LSD unit into it and also fitted the Mk3 6th gear assembly for better ratios.... pics coming soon.

Club Technical Advisor

THE PROJECT BEGINS

This one is a another first in the UK, we have been building up to this one for quite a while planning it out, and promises to be a fantastic conversion, so here goes!

We started out by giving Mark his dream gearbox, a Corolla T-sport 6 speed unit, but then stripped it down and installed a Mk3 Mr2 LSD unit and also swapped in the 6th gear assembly from the Mk3 (better 6th gear ratio than the Corolla 6th).

The box was then converted for Mr2 use by making custom selector rods coming out the front end of the Corolla casing instead of the rear.

We broke the whole Corolla T-sport several weeks ago and ended up with this....

Mark then sourced the aftermarket exhaust manifold because the Corolla one was just unworkable in the Mk1.

This is Marks engine bay with 4a-ge....

And about an hour later it was on the floor...

Nice empty engine bay...

So LOTS to do, but i'm looking forward to this one, should retain the high revving nature of the stock engine without any weight penalty.

Club Technical Advisor

The 2zz is now in the bay, with just one engine mount to make on the drivers side. I think i am going to make a bespoke mount that joins the old chassis mount onto the new 2zz bracket, that way it keeps everything reversable if mark ever feels the need to put a 4age back in

The Corolla bracket is about 6" higher up than the Mk1 chassis mount.