Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk1 2zz-ge conversion interest.

Club Technical Advisor

Re: Mk1 2zz-ge conversion interest.

To be honest i think the 190bhp is the only 2zz available anyway? With no cat it should be 195bhp or maybe a little more at a guess.

Either way i think a 2zz mk1 would be a great conversion, not as "set your hair alight" as the v6 or 3s-gte swaps but far less intrusive for those wanting to keep it with the same characteristics as the 4age.

Hi paul
    sounds good to me will be coming up to you for a cam belt change soon we can have a chat then
    thanks kev

Club Technical Advisor

Yep no problems at all kev, speak to you soon

MR2 Fan

Hiya... I too have been looking for a bit more poke from my retro rocket... I know that everyone harps on about the mk2 turbo being the best bang for buck but i do feel like the high reving thrill of the car would be lost a bit...

Hence ive been eyeing up the option of doing a 20v conversion, but, if the 2zz would be better performance, and less money than the mk2 engine, that would seem like the best option...

so... what would you assume (and i know this may be half a guess) would be the performance of the 2zz swap (could you guess on the bhp per ton and how does this fair against other conversions?)

And the other thing is, what kind of upgrade route is there for the engine, bolt on parts, cams, availability of superchargers? If there are available mods (due to the Elise) then surely this is another bonus...

Im sure im not the only one looking at this with keen interest...

MR2 Fan

Paul, maybe you can answer this one for me. I recently bought a gearbox off of Kev, a C59 he bought some time ago and never used.
    Having looked at this, the American market uses a C59 gearbox in a Matrix which uses the 1zzfe and 2zzge as it's range of engines. Am i right in thinking then the gearbox fitting pattern on this line of engines is the same as the 4a-ge?
    It seems like it but any clarification would help.
    Cheers

Steve

Club Technical Advisor

hi steve, the C59 is off the 1zz corolla so that has the same bellhousing pattern as the 2zz series celica engines (C60,63,64).Unfortunately the bellhousing pattern on the C59 and C60 gearboxes is not the same as the C series Mk1 gearbox, however by swapping the casings over and the input shaft bearing it is possible to get the C59/C60 to bolt straight onto a 4age.

It is advisable to also adjust the diff preload when doing this because obviously using shims from one half of the gearbox case may well throw it out of tolerance, but you could just get away with using both of the C59 shims, i'd say it will be fine because we do this a lot with the mk3 LSD fitments into Mk2 NA boxes by using the Mk2 shims.

So yes it is doable but needs a little work, you will also need to use Mk2 NA driveshafts with that set up, or a nice celica st162/182 supported shaft set up is the way i favour doing it to give you equal length shafts..... sorry probably overloading you with info here!

Hi benny, the 2zz will certainly let you retain the high revving nature that the 4age has, and it is 190bhp in stock form. It will be without a doubt much better than a 20v, i don't rate those engines at all, 153bhp and revs a bit higher, not worth the fuss really, so the 2zz will deliver so much more.It also has aftermarket support because of the elise connections and can be supercharged.

MR2 Fan

Sounds like my engine plans have changed then!!

one other thing tho, do you have a rough idea how much more the package would cost with the 6 speed? I really feel that the gearbox/engine combo would give stunning amounts of fun!!

Club Technical Advisor

That would really depend on wether i could source a mk3 6 speed box or adapt the celica one to work.... certainly under £500 as a ballpark figure but i won't know until i try it.

MR2 Fan

sounds really good...

I'll start saving my pennies (and throw in some overtime!) and fingers crossed i might be knocking on your door next year...

Im sure i wont be the only one!

Look forward to seeing the build when someone takes the plunge till then tho!!!

Club Technical Advisor

No probs, i do think this will make a truly excellent mk1 option.