Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk1 2zz-ge conversion interest.

Re: Mk1 2zz-ge conversion interest.

I agree the conversion is cheaper but i would save and spend 6K on an old elise

2.5 - 3k conversion
    1.5 k mk1

4 - 4.5 k conversion mk1 - probably more expensive to insure than a std elise, maybe unreliable if compared to some (not yours) mk1.5's
    plus ££ for suspension upgrades £400 and brake upgrades £? 200-400

=~£5k

You asked for positive and neg comments:

I like the conversion idea in principle - good engine and nicely suited to the mk1, but value for money, i'd save a bit more and buy something off the shelf

Club Technical Advisor

Jo i was after positives and negatives about the 2zz into mk1 swap, not "i wouldn't bother,instead i'd go out and buy a sheddy £6k elise" , how does that promote mk1's and this club? I am trying to move things forward with fresh ideas and modern conversions to keep these cars alive, sorry but "go buy an elise instead" is not what i would expect from a prominent Mk1 club member.

Hardly constructive in my opinion and that attitude pretty much sums up why i don't post much on the mk1 club forum anymore.There are people who are genuinely interested in having a modern powerplant in a mk1.... if that is not for you then fine, but i would expect you to promote the mk1 club and not the elise owners club.

FYI Mk1 owners are here because they want the best from their Mk1, not an elise.

MR2 Fan

How do Paul,
    If I was going down the engine conversion route this, for me, would be the only route I would consider entertaining. However, I'm just about to buy a NEW corrola 'box off of Kev Crane, which I will mod the linkages on, for my car. This would mean I wouldn't be very keen to move away from the 4age engine unless the 2zz-ge bolts up to this gearbox.
    Best of luck with it though and I'm sure you will get some takers.

edit: just read,in your earlier post, that the 2zz-ge will bolt up to a mk1 box. Now that I didn't know

Club Technical Advisor

Hi steve mate the good news is the 2zz should bolt up to a 4age gearbox by using the celica bellhousing bit.I know folk have used the 6 speed celica gubbins and hybridised the 4age bellhousing onto it to allow a 6 speed 4age package.

I love the mk1
    but its not worth spending that money on an upgrade IMO - simple

I'd keep the mk1 (which i love in its current form and performance) AND have a sheddy elise
    you just asked for opinions

what i'm not doing is slating the mk1, why would i slate a car i love, i'm just not convinced on value for money on the conversion

not detrimental to the club in any way, as we love mk1s

i think this is a fantastic idea, as i think the 2.0 t would be too much power for the mk1 and the 1.8 would make it up to modern standards, i have a friend with a company who run a team of lotus 2-elevens, they get through engines a fair bit each season. but they might have a source of second hand stuff. ill investigate

Club Technical Advisor

Agreed, i think it's only a matter of time before we see this as a common option like the SC swap is.

I bought my T bar that Paul put the Camry lump in for £300.00 & it had a super Floor & suspension mounts & just the rust in the wheel arches. I am sure Paul remembers it.

Club Technical Advisor

Yes indeed, one of the most solid rust free (underneath/chassis) shells we have ever seen, it was like new under it!

Hi paul
    very interested in your 2zz-ge conversion could we use the 190 bhp and run with no cat what would that do for performance
    thanks kev