Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk1 2zz-ge conversion interest.

Club Technical Advisor

Mk1 2zz-ge conversion interest.

Hi chaps, i am being approached more and more these days from mk1 owners enquiring about fitting the celica 2zz-ge engine into a mk1.So i have decided to do the research into what this conversion would cost including the donor vehicle (smashed celica basically!)

I would be interested in anyones thoughts on this conversion and if you think it would be popular etc. We have never done one yet but it will be a walk in the park for us compared to the v6 and 3s-gte swaps we currently do.

In a nutshell this would give 190bhp, rev like a madman and retain the lightweight characteristics of the stock engine.

All opinions good or bad welcome.

Re: Mk1 2zz-ge conversion interest.

Sounds fun to me! How much are we talking cost-wise?

Must say Paul, it's somethign I've been thinking about lately too. With more scrapped Elises/Exiges, the engines are probably also nickable from there (though the Celica or Corolla would be cheaper!). Though this does also mean there are further 'upgrade' options available for these engines... (Supercharged 2ZZ-GE... Yummy!!! )

Which gearbox would you be thinking of using? A six-speeder such as the C64 (though that's £££s) would be awesome with the high revving 2ZZ. (8600 rpm before you hit the rev-limiter... )

Should be in keeping with the character of the 4AGE in many ways which is why I was really warming to the idea. Similar weight, similar characteristics (it seems), both high revving - and both had some input from Yamaha...

TBH I've not got the money for either at the moment, but the 2ZZ was something I was thinking about as an alternative to the beast of a V6!
    Click here for Forum How-tos
    Also follow the above link for web/forum contact info.

Club Technical Advisor

hi ben, well i have been looking at celica donor salvage cars (initially we would need to buy complete cars for the transponder/keys and everything we would need) and it looks like under £1000 gets one, i suppose the harder they have been hit the cheaper they are.

I would estimate the actual conversion labour to be somewhere around the £1500 region so i suppose around £2500 supplied and fitted sounds feasible although that is by no means set in stone.If we can find a supplier of 2zz engines that can also give us everything needed (front clips ideally) for under £1000 and we can get the labour down as well then this becomes a very cheap conversion indeed.

Hi max, i would be able to offer this conversion either with the stock mk1 gearbox or with the Mk3 6 speeder although that would ramp the cost of the job up a bit due to needing to redesign the shifter assembly at the stick end (mk1's pull a cable to go into 1st gear,mk3's push the same cable for 1st gear, so it would all be backwards!)

I will get more info on it as time goes by,its only a matter of time before we start doing these as they are a nice modern version of the 4age in every way and will compliment the mk1.It won't be as nuts as the v6 swap or 3sgte, but a great option all the same.

Paul, in order to avoid the transponder/key issue, could you not go standalone? Or do you still need the standard ECU & other bits? (Just a wondering, though I guess going standalone could add a grand to the cost)

I guess that not only will this be a cheaper conversion, but you shouldn't have to cut into any of the other bulkheads, would you? i.e. boot will remain intact and standard size & shape?

Would the changing of the shifter assembly be a huge problem? I remember (the other) Paul coming up with a simple solution for his V8 into a Mk3, so I guess similar could be used for this conversion?

Sorry for all the questions...! Just really have been interested in this possibility for a while - well, since having a ride in a 2ZZ powered Elise... I know they're completely different beasts, but still.... Drool!
    Click here for Forum How-tos
    Also follow the above link for web/forum contact info.

Club Technical Advisor

The engine can be very easily run on a standalone but it does indeed add a grand or more to the cost, plus mapping time.... so it ends up costing more than a v6 mk1, which is a no brainer if its all out power you are after, v6 every single time.

So to keep the costs down it would be on the stock ecu.Yep PaulM used the same shifter linkage design as i did on his v8 swap,i gave him details of what i did.... we have been helping each other as it goes along.

The entire boot wall would remain intact, nothing at all would be cut on this conversion.

Club Technical Advisor

After having a good look around i have spotted this one on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-TOYOTA-CELIC ... 286.c0.m14

Something like this is absolutely perfect for the project, so donors are certainly out there.

sounds like a great engine to go in the mk1, and should appeal to those wanting the revvy NA route, with a more modern engine.
    good power and weight etc

not for me though, when you can almost buy a £6k elise (albeit sheddy) for the kind of money it would cost for a good mk1 donor plus you supply and fit......

Club Technical Advisor

Hi jo, not sure i agree with the £6k pricetag? Roughly £2.5-£3k for the conversion so i am not sure where you are getting £6k from? Surely people would be converting the mk1 they already own?

Club Technical Advisor

Thinking about that some more Jo, even if you went out and bought a mk1 to convert they are out there for under £1500 in good condition, some well under a grand... i make that around £4k all in including the mk1 if you did not have one to start with, confused by the £6k