Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mk1 TD replica engine lid

Club Technical Advisor

Mk1 TD replica engine lid

Only 15 of these Mk1 engine lids were ever made, nearly all of them exist in the US and are no longer in production.This is a replica of the Thomas Designs engine lid that we will shortly be producing in about 4 weeks time.

I am going to be using one of these on my mk1 v8 for cooling reasons but it also suits the "on steroids" style of my car.It will mean i can add two huge fans under the vents.

This thread is for pre-order bookings, no deposits or anything at this stage, i just need to get a rough idea of numbers for the moulder.

All lids will be sold on an exchange basis for an old mk1 NA lid,i need to use the webbing and underside of a stock mk1 lid to make these.... so either send me your lid or any old one off ebay (cheap as chips!).

Prices are not confirmed as yet but i am hoping the manufacturing costs are kept fairly low and we can supply these somewhere in the £150-£180 region (with old lid taken in exchange)

If you are interested whack your name below, no commitment as yet

MR2 Enthusiast

Re: Mk1 TD replica engine lid

I like that alot

Can you take a pic Square onto the back of the car so i can see how much it obscures the rear vision? and one through the rear window please

+1 for me mr woods

Club Technical Advisor

Ah sadly not tiny, the lid is now with the moulder for casting! so these are the only pics i have until he is done with it, but i can certainly take those shots when i get it back,no problem.The lid sits about the same height as the rear wing does if that helps?

MR2 Enthusiast

no thats fine thanks

What size spals will fit under the scoops? 8''

Club Technical Advisor

I think an 8" will fit under there, but when it comes back i will measure it up

MR2 Fan

Paul looks fantastic, I assume its only for the N/A ?

I've got two original SC engine hoods, but I'm only going to use one on the SC conversion you done, so I'll have one spare. If I sell that then I'll have one of these instead for the N/A Track day hack

Tiny x 1
    omracing x 1

Club Technical Advisor

Thanks mate, yes this is for the NA only due to the engine catch position, but it can be moved on NA lids so no reason why it can't be moved with this lid really.... either that or run with bonnet pins?

Club Technical Advisor

Ok i have been getting a better idea on final pricing for this lid and it is going to work out slightly more than i had planned, so i have decided to offer it in one of two ways to keep costs down for some people.

Option 1: As a ready to fit lid that has been fully bonded and blended into the NA steel webbing/hinge mounts and lid catch,finished in primer is going to cost £190 at this moment in time, (moulding costs are higher than expected) this will be the finished product that will only require paint.I will need an NA lid in exchange to do this.P+P is £15 fully insured.

Option 2: As an outer skin only, meaning i can supply the outer moulded part that you can then bond and blend onto your own cut/dressed NA lid yourself.I can supply it at £145 like this and obviously i do not need an NA lid in exchange for this option.P+P is £12 this way as it is much lighter.

If you chaps could let me know if you still want to go ahead and if so which option you want that would be great.

Club Technical Advisor

FAO Tiny and Omracing, i am taking delivery of these lids on friday (not sure if you read the group buy thread on TB?) , if you could both let me know if you still wish to proceed, plus which option you would like that would be great.Also if you could send payment either to my paypal address which is paul@woodsport.org or ring me at the garage 0191 37220962 and i can process a card payment.

I will also need an NA engine lid sending to me for option 1 on these lids and the TD lid will be despatched within 2 weeks of receipt of your NA lid.For option 2 i will be able to despatch immediately, many thanks guys

MR2 Enthusiast

sorry Paul got Accident excess to pay for

if your still making them in a couple of months time then ill take one