Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELLO ALL!

MR2 Fan

HELLO ALL!

..because I don't have an MR2...doh.

I have always wanted one but for one reason or another, never got round to it.

Anyway, made the decision to get a project and revive an ailing two from the dead. When i get it, I'll try to join again! I have spent the last few months reading incessantly about mr2 restoration so feel ready for the challenge..

One question, when i find the perfect project car it is likely to be sorn, with no tax or MOT. does anyone know the legaltities or the best way to move a SORN vehicle?

Hi all..

Re: I tried to join but it won't let me....

PM sent

MR2 Fan

Re: HELLO ALL!

so when I was about 17 (18 years ago) i took a trip in a brand new red mk1. always thought to myself one day i will get one of those.

so after years of excuses, i joined your lovely club and went out today and bought this

anyone recognise it? as it has mr2mk1 stickers on it and also a copy of the club magazine from 2005 in all the paperwork.

needs a lot of love to bring it back to its former glory but a lot has been spent on it already (arches done! yay). sills are pretty bad and a lot of tlc required. car was based in leicestershire but now has kent as its new home. those 160 miles were amazing!!

hopefully looking forward to meeting some of you guys at some upcoming events. I feell i might need the help!!

ps, silly question but i presume there is no shame in bringing a car along to an event even if it's not pristine or a work in progress? (new to all this)

better pictures will follow when it's all done

Looks like a good buy!
    My car had stickers and a 2001 mag in it when I bought it, but I have no idea who it belonged to.

Don't worry about having a slightly tatty car, I can say from personal experience that there's no shame in it! (if you see my engine bay and rear quarters you'll understand what I mean )

Nice to see another one in Kent too

MR2 Fan

cheers I think i got a good one, well i hope so.

so far the shopping list is as follows:

tools - i havent got any
    gear knob
    gear gaiter
    gear choser decal
    interior door handles both sides
    door switches boths sides (for windows etc)
    aerial replacement
    nicer matts
    lots of cleaning stuff including carpet cleaner

to do list:

hoover the crumbs clean etc
    sills (maybe next year!)
    various bits of very minor rot
    maybe two new front wings if i can get tem cheap enough
    electric windows work but clunky
    repairable stone chip on windscreen
    driver and passenger windows seems a bit worn out/scratched
    refurb the pepper pots
    few bits of trim falling off
    full service
    full mop

good bits

everything else works fine! all 100% unmolested including original owners manual, radio and toolkit! drives lovely. according to the paperwork it was tuned a few years ago. under the impression that this car cant be tuned so much.. however it cost me an absolutely amazing £14 to drive 160 miles! (all motorway at 70 mph apart from a few minutes where i accidentally floored it. )

Quote Originally Posted by sloopeh

ps, silly question but i presume there is no shame in bringing a car along to an event even if it's not pristine or a work in progress? (new to all this)
    Absolutely not, we have all been there or are still there! The events are a social gathering where we meet and chat. You will find people very willing to offer advice and help as we all share a passion for these cars and the collective knowledge is superb. Come along and find out, you will not be disappointed.

There are a few events that require show cars, but the rest of us still attend and admire the cars. Gives us something to aim for!

Like the colour

Staffordshire Moorlands nr. Stoke on Trent

isn't that fred sandersons old MK1?
    F73 LUD aka flud stable mate to flitzer!

Staffordshire Moorlands nr. Stoke on Trent

Quote Originally Posted by kevin..in
    isn't that fred sandersons old MK1?
    F73 LUD aka flud stable mate to flitzer!
    yep thats FLUD alright
    heres a couple of pics fom the Peak district runs a few years ago

those pics will be 4 & 5 years old second one has my first MK1 in it UKO so must be 04 or 05
    FLUD and Flitzer are MK1 Club Royalty so you must attend at some point i'm sure Fred would love to see his old car again
    brief history
    Fred (no Doris bought FLUD as a present for Fred) in Leek saffs. for Freds retirement (detailed in MK1 Club mag) some body work was done (article used to be on old MK1 Club web site) I think Fred owned FLUD for 5 or 6 years based in Loughborough, when Fred sold it the new owner had a bit of a prang I think and sold it on soon afterwards!

this is easter 06 & isn't that "old petrolhead" Richard Brett next to it?

Fred and Doris in the middle easter 06 again

and here this is peak district run may? 04 my first MK1 Club run (flud in the middle) worrying thing is that I not only still own that stripped jumper that i have on but i was wearing it at the weekend I must ask for a revised clothing allowance!!!

last one I can find for now titled wanlip 05/04 don't think i took this one so not sure where it is

MR2 Fan

hey that's amazing thanks for those pictures. that might explain why after 20 years it still drives like new and how come it has all the original bits and pieces. also the frunk is almost show condition.

the car has obviouslty had lots of love, followed by a bit of neglect....

I have a four day weekend coming up so i think i will be busy cleaning and assessing what needs to be done and I'll get some better pics up

Yes, thats Freds old car. He sold it in near perfect condition but i don't think the last owner loved it as much.
    I'll let him know you've got it