Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FREE - Porsche RS day Oulton Park Fri Mar 6th (Mk1 Mr2 Meet)

MR2 Newbie

Re: FREE - Porsche RS day Oulton Park Fri Mar 6th (Mk1 Mr2 Meet)

The Mk1's are still very capable cars, well designed and great value for money.

I bet the MR2 would handle better if it was fitted with quality track tyres, my Boxster has big road "N" marked 16" 225/50 "Pirelli PZero Rosso" tyres and they are great when they get hot.

The next Oulton day is on Saturday April 4th (Circuit Day) my mate in the Porsche club "Boxsey" is going and his friend "ziggy" is taking his MK1 on the track, it's not all pokers !
    http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=36849

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Oliver
    The Mk1's are still very capable cars, well designed and great value for money.

I bet the MR2 would handle better if it was fitted with quality track tyres, my Boxster has big road "N" marked 16" 225/50 "Pirelli PZero Rosso" tyres and they are great when they get hot.

The next Oulton day is on Saturday April 4th (Circuit Day) my mate in the Porsche club "Boxsey" is going and his friend "ziggy" is taking his MK1 on the track, it's not all pokers !
    http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=36849
    The toyo R888's seem to be a pretty good cheap track tyre for the MK1.
    I'm at Goodwood on the 4th so can't come and say hi.
    Ziggy will have fun - its an SC i believe.... Why isn't he taking his boxster on track? (if were talking about the same Ziggy....)

MR2 Newbie

Most of the Guys in the Porsche use Toyo R888's, because of the performance and price.
    The R888 I think was designed for track enthusiasts, but are still road legal tyre, which is great and you still get faster laps and a safe journey home afterwards (except if its raining!).

The cup race car I went out in had Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres and they stick like glue when hot, but I believe the Toyo R888 are just as good.

The Michelin's are as close as it gets to track tyres on the road!
    Built for pure performance driving as a competition tyre and should not be using when its cold, icy or snowy weather (most of the time in this country!).
    I went to a talk given by Michelin at my local Porsche club GB night, its was very interesting stuff.

Not sure if its the same Ziggy, or why he not taking his Boxster on track, I assume his MK1 is his track car.
    My friend Steve (Boxsey), uses his 964 as his track car and uses the Boxster commuting to work.

What happen to your MK1 SC ?

my sc had a random electrical fire at home and burned to the ground
    we've still got the track mk1 and the show mk1. my Rx8 replaced the SC

we've used R888's for a year or so now, and have found them plenty grippy enough in the wet for a daily drive as well as track.

MR2 Newbie

Sh**t, sorry to hear about your SC.

I had electrical fire on my flat-4 air cooled Citroen GSA, years ago as I was driving it home in very heavy snow, lucky I had a 10mm spanner with me and discounted the battery quickly before the whole car went up.

Had to cut up the wiring harness and replace most of the power wires, took me weeks to repair it!

Funny, I was giving a girl I fancied for years a lift home from work trying to impress her, when large amounts of black smoke came from under the dash board.

I think I must of impressed her, as she ended up marrying me. But I never got around to telling her it was my fault, as the day before I had run the wires for my driving spot lights right past the steering column, which caused them to rub and short to ground.

Sadly she died of Breat Cancer last year, and I know she laugh at me if she knew what I had done, and say "you silly bugger", she was an electronics engineer and knows you don't run wires next to moving parts.

Anyway, good to hear the R888's are plenty grippy enough in the wet, I was thinking of changing my Michelin's, but they probably cost more than the cars worth, be good to compare them.