Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FREE - Porsche RS day Oulton Park Fri Mar 6th (Mk1 Mr2 Meet)

MR2 Newbie

FREE - Porsche RS day Oulton Park Fri Mar 6th (Mk1 Mr2 Meet)

I know a few people who are racing there on Friday and have also got Mk1's as there second cars, I'm going and Bill Hulme and few others.

Mrs Fraser is a director of the MR2DC club, and a contributor to the other MR2 clubs is going to take some photos of the Mr2 guys.

Something none MR2 related for the NW events and a chance to Meet up with the North West Porsche Club (PCGB) guys:

Just to let you know, if you live in the North West everyone is welcome to attend the Porsche RS day at Oulton park Fri March 6th.
    I went to this last year and it's FREE to watch, and is "Open Pit Lane" so you can talk to the guys and get close to the cars.

I booked the day off for this (as it's on a Friday), but not to be missed if you love fast cars !

Last year, it was the most exciting thing I have ever seen, the sound and speed of GT3 RS and old RS Porsches ripping around the track and talking to the drivers.

"Click" on "View Attendees" under March "OULTON PARK PORSCHE DAY", to see the list of the worlds fastest Porsches that will be there.
    http://easytrack.co.uk/events/allevents.asp

Here is a few Vids of Oulton Park Porsche RS Day last year:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCmPQ1BdQx8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BANelYJs ... re=related

Oulton Park MAP (Postcode CW6 9BW)
    http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source ... iwloc=addr

http://www.driving-days.co.uk/oulton-park-circuit.php

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE ON FRIDAY!

EDIT: Just been told, some of the guys are doing hot laps in return for charity donations so you'll have no problem experiencing some REAL track action !!

Regards,

Chris.

Re: FREE - Porsche RS day Oulton Park Fri Mar 6th (Mk1 Mr2 Meet)

Great location, but I am in work.

Would love to see some pictures though!

Enjoy.

MR2 Newbie

What a fanstasic day it was! I was very lucky to get a ride in an very special lightweight Carrera Cup race car, driven by Ninemeister racing driver Colin Belton.

This car is so rare it's serial number is in the 2000 range, there was only a few ever produced by Porsche exclusively for racing, with over 300BHP from the stock 3.6L engine and a weight of around 1000Kg, gives this car such superb handling and power to weight ratio.

With the driving skill of Colin and a dry track, and Colin in full race mode !!
    We were overtaking everything on the track except for a GT2 who was "trying" a bit to hard nearly lost it overtaking us.

Bill Humle from the Mk1 Mr2 club was also lucky to get a ride in a GT3 RS driven by Marc Clowes (9M Bodyshop king).

The grip in the cup car is just amazing, and so balanced. The brakes are just amazing with Colin jumping on the brakes at the very last second, words can't describe the G-forces that car can pull.

The event organisers EasyTrack/volunteers girls in the office were just brilliant people, they were helping with a fund raising for an very worthwhile cause, a local family with a little 3 year old daughter with cancer.

Also a raffle with some amazing prizes donated by 9M and others (See http://easytrack.co.uk/forum/fmess.asp? ... ctid=44704 for winners), they raised over £1500 for the young girls Charity.

I just wanted to thank Colin and Mark for giving up there free time, giving me and many others a ride of there life, for such a good worthwhile cause.

Bill and my dad

My ride was in this Carrera Cup race car.

Getting ready for the ride of my life...

Heads down ready to go racing...

Someone not having a good day in his GT3 RS...

Look like a good meet
    i got a passenger ride in a GTS RS too on sat at castle coombe - Ace cars

There was a chap the other week at rockingham with a black GT3 RS....i wonder if the crashed one is him?.......hope not, nice chap who does a fair few trackdays.

MR2 Newbie

I spoke to the guy he was a nice chap, and was covered by his track day insurance and was taking it well and putting it down to experience. The main thing he wasn't hurt, except for his wallet as he has to pay the excess of 10% of the car value.

I shouldn't really have posted the photo for the sake of the owner, because I know if I have stuffed my Porsche I would not be too happy.

Here a taste of the other cars on the track for people that missed the day (taken by Bill).

Thanks go to Chris for a smashing day, I also went out in as a passenger in one of there very quick cars as a passenger, talk about hang on for life, it was mind blowing
    but what a ride, I will be there again next year to do it again, if you think mr2 are
    quick think again,the cornering speed is out of this world this car pulls your head off
    thank chris for posting some of photos.
    Bill.

MR2 Newbie

Bill, I thought you post a picture of your Fav car, looks like "The Stig" is having a passenger ride in your Ludo car.
    Nice picture Bill.

I don't know if I have the guts to go out on the track in a GT3 RSR when there's rain on the ground!

MR2 Newbie

It looks like we may be going down to Oulton on Saturday April 4th again.
    As one of the Porsche Club members has a boxster and MR2.

He going to take his MR2 on the track !!
    And has offered me (and maybe others) passenger rides, should be fun watching the MR2 going around the track.

I had my MR2 for over 8 years now, and only lost it once in the pouring rain with a flat tyre on the rear.

To compare the MR2 with the 986, I think the MR2 isn't as forgiving or planted as the 986 at speed, it's doesn't like long sweeping bends at full power and then lifting off the power mid bend, it will spin and you can't recover from it. I think it's because it lacks the power of the Porsches to pull the back in like the Boxster can as it's got a 911 front end.
    It was amazing how Colin could keep the 911 cup car nearly sideways in the bends in total control without the car biting back, maybe it's the design of the 911 or it's the track tyres and his skill as a race driver.
    Reminded me of very fast Go-Karts, but the trouble with them is refinement is zero, and the brakes aren't that good as they easily lock up due to the low weight of the Kart.

The Porsche car I was in had 400+ bhp and ceramic brakes, Mr2 will get in the way and I think it would be embarrassing to say the least then again you are up against a lot newer cars,
    I love my Mr2 but I know when to hold my hands up. and bow to much better cars
    Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by bill hulme
    The Porsche car I was in had 400+ bhp and ceramic brakes, Mr2 will get in the way and I think it would be embarrassing to say the least then again you are up against a lot newer cars,
    I love my Mr2 but I know when to hold my hands up. and bow to much better cars
    Bill.
    It depends on how thw Porsche's are driven - if they are slightly 'timid' we find the mk1's catching up slowly. eg. i've overtaken some at Spa and silverstone, as they were driving a bit novice (slow). It was a proud momemt seeing our little MK1 whizz past LOL.
    The Porsches are waay out of our league usually, but we aren't so slow that we are moving bollards though.