Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodwood Festival Of Speed 3rd-5th July 2009

Re: Goodwood Festival Of Speed 3rd-5th July 2009

Can you camp at Goodwood?

My gaffer goes every year and he reckons hotels are booked up around Goodwood years in advance........

Wayne,

Your'e camp enough as it you but you will not see me in those pink denim jeans and Armani t-shirt.

LOL

MR2 Newbie

I would think as a club a visit to this event would be awesome.

Paul, exactly, I feel a trip down from the NE to Goodwood is possibly on the cards then!

Must start saving for this then, dam got Le Mans before than, dam got the Website launch party before then!

Dam

2010 sounds the best idea to me but i'm only fowl so what do i know

my view (as past events organiser):

Goodwood Revival would be the far more appropriate event to have a club stand (focus more on the classic sports cars rather than the new). We would look seriously overshadowed, despite spending money down the pan, at the FoS.
    If you did spend money on stand equipment then this would not really be useful at other evets surely? It would be redundant at most shows, so wasted.

The price of the NEC is negligible. The price of either goodwood event is extortionate.
    The focus of the club in promotion is surely to attract memnbers etc etc. The Nec is a more appropriate audience per cost of stand, as it is a classic car show, not a modern event like FoS.

It also raises the question as to who's cars will be the show cars at the event. there will be a very limited number (3-4?), therefore all the money spent will benefit of a few attending.
    Think how far that money could go round for everyone at a 25th anniversary event if we held it at JAE or Billing where unlimited cars could be displayed and food/party put on for everyone?......

My best plan would be for the MK1 club people wanting to attend, buy thier own expensive tickets, get together and either convoy into the car parking area so you all park together, or ask the organiser if there are any special club parking areas. Also contact a local camping place to have your jolly there. No cost to the club then.

It would be far better to spend the big bucks on a great anniversary show where it is not exclusive and open to all the join in

MR2 Enthusiast

Some valid points there Jo i must admit, this has only been posted in the last few days, so its something that needs to be discussed at quite some depth before we commit to anything especially as the amount of money involved is not peanuts.
    If you want my opinion i think 2009 is too early for us, we have already spent a small fortune on reviving the club, dont forget we need to spend yet again on proper stand equipment for the NEC too this year, the stuff we have already is so old the Antiques Roadshow would be interested !. I think this is something we should look at in 2010 the aniversary year, we have plans for a lands end - John'o' groats link run which will be a nightmare to organise on its own & debs has already said she cant devote loads of time in 2010 due to prior engagments although she will still be able to help where she can, but she will need help for that year as it is.
    Certainly worth talking about nearer the time when things have settled down on here & we are all pulling in the right direction, cheers, Jinxy

MR2 Enthusiast

Ah! thanks hun. Was only thinking of visiting this year anyhow, birthday pressie idea, tickets???
    Could be an idea for 2010,
    Yes 2010 not a good year for me my other love, Brownies , is 100 years old next year so even bigger plans afoot for us

I love the revival but I don't think they will be particularly interested in a 1980's car. My father tried to get into the classic car park (which is awesome, about 2000 classic cars, one year there were 8 Ferrari Dinos parked next to each other and there must be about 100 Jaguar e-types each year) with his stunning 1973 Lotus Europa JPS and they were not interested in the slightest. Why would they when they have more Jaguar Mk1,Mk11, MK11, etc and XK120s, XK140s and XK150s etc than they can shake a stick at. The cut off is 1964 (I think, might be 1963 or thereabouts) so 1984+ cars not in their remit.

The Fos Once had 7 Bugatti Royales , only 9 were made. Worth about £9 to £12m each (or were before the credit crunch )

I do agree having the cars together in the camping place would be a blast but be warned a day ticket is about £50, weekend ticket about £120. Not cheap but worth every penny.