Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: layout

Re: layout

I like the black and white forum

The toyota SERA forum has a "skins" option so each user can select and use their own colour scheme, I think thats what Nimbus mentions but I'm not sure, the SERA forum uses the earlier version of phbb though I think, so not sure if there is a patch.

Also (this ones a bit more complicated)..

The front page, is there an option so that the random image selection will use the images that users upload to the forum? So that everyone would get their pride and joy on show, and it would give a good representation of the club.

MR2 Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymax
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimbus_UK
    Ideally, if you could add some extra templates to your installation of phpBB, then we could all choose the one that suits us, and everyone's happy
    Hi Nimbus. That's exactly what I'm planning at the moment but I cannot currently access the directory to install a new style. Once that technical hitch is overcome, then I'll stick another style on as the default style.
    Great stuff, I dont think it necessarily needs a change in default style, but if you could load a few different ones, then we can all choose a different style that suits each of us

good luck with the permissions

MR2 Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by cartledge_uk
    I like the black and white forum

The toyota SERA forum has a "skins" option so each user can select and use their own colour scheme, I think thats what Nimbus mentions but I'm not sure, the SERA forum uses the earlier version of phbb though I think, so not sure if there is a patch.

Also (this ones a bit more complicated)..

The front page, is there an option so that the random image selection will use the images that users upload to the forum? So that everyone would get their pride and joy on show, and it would give a good representation of the club.
    I think the black and white is ok, ish...
    Its when people start using the extra colours like this and this that it gets painful !
    tho I think this is ok

yepp, skins or templates is exactly what I mean. I'm not familiar with this particular fourm software, but most let you have other templates that the user can specifiy individually in their profile

the guys are doing a great job getting things sorted tho

the scroll bars is a definite major improvement

It wont work quite like this, but eventually yes, people will be able to submit photos that we can add to the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by System-G
    BaT - I have the same issue as well and it's on the to-do list as it's annoying me a bit too. It'll not be sorted until I do the colour scheme though - at the earliest - as they kinda go hand in hand.

Cheers guys.
    Max, I think the problem is because the forum is a page within the website?
    Garrick, that specific problem, no. But the forum being a page within the site is resulting in a number of other issues and is a pain at the moment. For now I'm just putting sticking plasters where I can to try to get stuff working. At some point I'll have to sort this properly.
    Hi Max,

I have tried using the forum on various browsers - IE6 & FireFox 3 are fine, no additional scroll bars. So far it's only IE7 that has the issue (on my PC at home). I've not tried it at work on Avant or any of the other browsers we test out sites on as I've just not had the time.
    Will do tomorrow if I can though

Re: The styles: yes, I will be installing an extra style and choosing an easier one to read as the default. I don't want to go crazy with the styles though as they have to be checked when something is changed/updated, so obviously having many styles means lots of checking of stuff... It's quite straightforward to upload styles (I did it to my test forum in a few minutes) but I do not currently have access to the forums files to upload the styles themselves... When I get this, it will be done! (along with some more smilies, including the thumbsup one which would've been handy here)

Scroll bar issue seems partially fixed - not my work though. The frames for the site have been tweaked a bit to change their behaviour. It's better, but still not spot on. They seem to work on my office (Linux) computer and Safari on my Mac, but Firefox on my Mac is still misbehaving...
    Still, if it works for some... (insert thumbs up here... )
    Click here for Forum How-tos
    Also follow the above link for web/forum contact info.

MR2 Newbie

scroll bars fine on win2k with firefox 3.05 here

MR2 Obsessive

Scroll bars work fine in Firefox for me, they are a real pain on my EEEPC though but I think that is due to the 7" screen size.

Just want to say you are doing a fantastic job Max, considering the forum has only been on line for a week the changes you have made are really good, still don't like the colours but that is probably just my eyes. <<< Thumbs up smilie>>>

Scroll bar issue seems partially fixed - not my work though. The frames for the site have been tweaked a bit to change their behaviour. It's better, but still not spot on. They seem to work on my office (Linux) computer and Safari on my Mac, but Firefox on my Mac is still misbehaving...
    Still, if it works for some... (insert thumbs up here... )
    All browsers we test with at work (IE6, IE7, Avant, Firefox2 & Firefox3) now show the forum fine and as all other forums behave with regards to the scroll bars.

HTH :no thumb up smiley:

Cheers Garrick.
    The links (e.g. to the for sale section) still aren't behaving themselves with the frames from what I can see, though... so it's kinda fixed but not quite...
    Click here for Forum How-tos
    Also follow the above link for web/forum contact info.