Thread: How Much?

How Much?

Afternoon all,

I’m probably going to sell my mk1b, I’m just not using it enough to justify keeping it and I could probably do with a more practical classic for going on holiday.
    The important question is what to advertise for?
    Registered mid 1989 F reg
    It’s done about 113,00 miles
    Super red sunroof leather model
    Purchased it in 2013 and spent quite a bit with a bodyshop cutting out all the rust and a complete exterior respray.
    No bubbling anywhere on car, absolutely solid no rust.
    Wheels powder coated in 2014
    I’m only doing between 800-1000 miles since I’ve had it.
    It’s currently on lowered suspension, but I do have a set of nearly new standard height springs.
    Polybushed all round including the steering rack
    Aftermarket stereo but I have the original
    Frunk T-bar antiroll bar fitted
    Serviced every year
    The MOTs have all been clean passes since my ownership.
    MOT and service due in July
    Had new coolant and timing belt a few years ago and a new alternator about 6 years ago.
    Always stored in a dry garage.
    Lots of spare parts, including continental headlights, driveshafts, gaskets, drive boots etc etc
    Complete underside redone with new anti rust treatment including lots of waxoyl type injection in the voids
    Carpet out hammerite painted on the floor.
    Always put damp traps in the boot, frunk and cockpit every winter
    Only on the road between April -October
    Polished and waxed once a year using Meguiers. Leather seats conditioned every year.
    Lastly, it’s pretty immaculate apart from some minor stone chips.

Think that’s it.
    Any suggestions on pricing or offers let me know?
    It’s currently SORN but I’m planning to put it back on the road in April.

If anybody is interested I’m based in West Suffolk between Bury St Edmunds and Newmarket.
    p.s I’ve also got a bit of Mk1 MR2 memorabilia that I might also part with, models, matchbox cars, brochures etc.

Thanks

Jon

One thing a couple of things forgot it’s got a massive history file, mainly from me and the last owner 2 A4 folders worth of invoices etc.
    It’s fitted with a TOAD alarm
    And I’ve got the original keys

MR2 Fan
    Hi Jon
    Always a difficult one, the car sounds and reads excellent, there are a number of mk1 for sale so reading through the lists should give you the outline for the price, the history and files make this a good investment for someone but only you know what you would accept.
    My car is serviced yearly and has full service history, so would be interested in the outcome.
    Sorry to read you are thinking about selling though, have had the same a couple of times, but once on the road soon passers by, trust ever thing works out
    John

Thanks John,

I’m not 100% sure that I’m going to sell it, but I’ve got a few weeks to make up my mind before it will come out of the garage from hibernation.
    There aren’t many for sale or have been sold over the past few months so it’s a little tricky to work out exactly what it’s worth.

Thanks again

Jon

MR2 Fan
    Hi Jon
    Found you a car to match, have posted before on auctions etc, there is a Mr2mk1 Coupe for sale by ILEX Derry
    £32,995 with 1368miles on the clock, one of the most expensive Mk1 seen, absolute cracker
    John

MR2 Fan
    Hi Jon

I think I have seen another lately, with slightly fewer miles (I thin about 90k) which was advertised at £9,995. The mileage difference is pretty irrelevant at that age of car, so it's all down to conditions. It sounds like you should be worth at least the same, if not more.

Thanks

Rich

9K is vaguely realistic, 33K is just nonsense, just like the one in the States a few years ago which was 50K IIRC. I.M.O. the only MK1 I can think of that would be worth that kind of money would be one of the 222D rally cars.
    Anyone spending that kind of money isn't buying a car to drive and enjoy, its an investment and any usage, mileage is going to devalue it, you'd be scared to leave it parked or go out in case it rained !
    At the end of the day any car is worth what someone is prepared to pay or what you are prepared to accept for it. Decide that, then price accordingly.
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour