Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expensive 1988 MR2

Expensive 1988 MR2

Hi all,

Came across this for sale which seems to have a very high price tag, even for only 40k miles. £15,745!
    https://www.4starclassics.com/for-sa...-mk1-for-sale/
    It looks to have had a respray recently as its missing all the stickers, I would also assume that any rust would have been taken care of but its not going to be original.
    The aerial also seems to be missing.

It looks a very clean car though, someone will get a cracking car, if they can afford it.

Since I posted this, its already gone down 1k!

Never assume ! Assumption is the mother of all F-ups
    Seems extremely expensive to me even with a 1K reduction
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2 Fan
    Like Jimi says price is a difficult to read, having looked at the pictures, the engine bay is a let down f,or the money, for the sake of detailing makes all the difference, I posted a thread in November about a article featured in Classic car buyer on a mk1 at Stone cold classics, £10750 which sold, which had fsh and was a mint car, in the same time a metro turbo was sold for £17,917 at H&H online auction which made me smile, rare as most ended in hedgers, the Toyota mk1 has been undervalued for too long, as we know they are a great drivers car so maybe this is now the price range for good history cars, looking at the costs offast fords ect Mk1 are great value.

Looks like they pressure washed the shit out of the engine bay, no paint at all on the cam covers.

MR2 Fan
    So strange for the price to come down by £1k when it's only been advertised for a few days! As you all say, the engine bay is very disappointing and it's missing a few things (rubber on right of engine bay, T-Vis badge, body stripes). I would love to see if they checked the underneath and bumper bars....

However, all it needs is to find one punter who had one when he was 21 and wants an immaculate example again. If he's got a few bob then whether the price is £8k or £15k it really doesn't make much difference to him, he just wants a good one (or at least what he thinks is a good one from what he can see).

I believe that our cars should be getting the values that they deserve now. They are getting to be a very rare sight on the road and good ones are getting hard to come by.
    Jimi, you're right. Never assume anything!!! lol. I shall remove that word from my dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich135 View Post
    However, all it needs is to find one punter who had one when he was 21 and wants an immaculate example again. If he's got a few bob then whether the price is £8k or £15k it really doesn't make much difference to him, he just wants a good one (or at least what he thinks is a good one from what he can see).
    I don't think your hypothetical punter would have accumulated a few bob by disregarding 7K price differences He'd need a have a tribe of bob's to be able to do that

The prices are certaily on the up, not sure about that example though low mileage doesnt always mean good condition.
    Id be wanting to know why it was resprayed for starters. At that premium price you would also want all the missing/incorrect bits to have been rectified.

Id like to think a properly fully restored example is capable of fetching that sort of price with all new/refurbished parts not your usual patch it up with old worn parts and flog it calling it restored to just have more issues crop up down the line.
    Yes i talk to myself, sometimes i need a professional opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Martin42006 View Post
    The prices are certaily on the up
    Yeah, mine is probably worth £100 now rather than the £80 I gave for it!
    There's no rust on my car. But there are some sizable holes where the rust fell out.