Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone

MR2 Newbie

Hi everyone

Hi folks,
    I've just joined up and I'm looking forward to learning more about the Mk1 and all it's good and bad points with a view to finding myself a mint example.
    The reason I'm looking now is that despite having owned a '73 Gen1 Celica GT Liftback for a number of years, someone has been pestering me for over a year to get me to part with it.
    Up to now I've always said no but last week he finally made me an offer I simply couldn't refuse so I had to give in and sell it. This means that I have a gap in the garage and I really want to stay with Toyota
    so the MK1 MR2 is on the shopping list. I need to find a really good example if there are any about or if anyone on here knows the whereabouts of such a car, I'd appreciate their input.
    Look forward to getting to know some of you in the coming weeks and months.
    Thanks for now.
    Mike

MR2 Fan
    Hi Mike,
    Welcome along. That must have been a tough sell to let the Celica go, but sometimes if someone makes an offer that good it's difficult to say no! Has it gone to a good home?
    There are certainly a few mint examples still about, but I am sure you are already aware that you can't always rely on the advertisers descriptions, especially on the auction sites.
    Keep an eye on TheMarket, CollectingCars and CarandClassic websites to see what comes up and feel free to post it here for some honest opinions.
    Do you have a spec and budget in mind? T-bar? Colour?
    Cheers
    Rich

MR2 Newbie
    Hi Rich,
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes it was tough to let the Celica go but I know it's gone to a very good home and, best of all, I'll get to see it during our local classic car tours throughout the year.
    Regarding the search for a Mk1 MR2, I suppose my ideal car would be Red or White, 'T' bar with relatively low miles and excellent to mint condition that has had all the body restoration done.
    I suppose what I'm saying is a full nut & bolt restoration would be ideal.
    Budget won't be a problem for the right car.
    Cheers,
    Mike

MR2 Fan
    Mike

It's good to hear the Celica is at a good home.

This one looks pretty good. Quite a hefty price so it really would have to be as good as they say it is to be worth that much https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1276649

Whilst many have, not all cars have had a restoration at this point. Mine is still original body and paint, having covered 50k miles with two owners before me, so keep an eye out for completely original cars as well. I found mine through following various people on twitter, so all avenues should be kept open!

If I spot any more, I will pop them on here.

Thanks

Rich

Welcome to the club, There are the occasional ones still around that have had all the work done.
    I might know of a couple that are for sale but would have to see if they are still available.

Not to be a downer but that one posted by rich i would be wary of, very little description and the rear arch on the second photo stands out as the wrong profile so has possibly been repaired badly. the mot history doesnt look great for it either with excessive rust since 2006. It might have had extensive work done to fix the issues but you would think the seller would be advertising the amount of work thats been done to get it right.
    Yes i talk to myself, sometimes i need a professional opinion

MR2 Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin42006 View Post
    Not to be a downer but that one posted by rich i would be wary of, very little description and the rear arch on the second photo stands out as the wrong profile so has possibly been repaired badly. the mot history doesnt look great for it either with excessive rust since 2006. It might have had extensive work done to fix the issues but you would think the seller would be advertising the amount of work thats been done to get it right.
    Ouch, I see what you mean Martin, the MOT history does not make for nice reading and lots of time off the road.

MR2 Newbie
    Hi Rich,
    Yes I've already seen the white one, in fact it is listed in the 'for sale' section of the forum and it's now sold but thanks for the heads up.
    Hi Martin, Thanks for your comments too. If you do find out if the cars are still available that would be good to know as well as spec. and condition.
    As I mentioned, if the right car comes along then budget is no problem.
    Thanks again.
    Mike

MR2 Newbie
    Hi all,
    Does anyone know this car or have any comments they would be willing to share.
    I seem to remember reading that rust in the door shuts could be a worrying sign but don't have any experience of this myself.
    It looks very nice but I'm well aware that all that glistens isn't gold.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Toyo...wAAOSw8FVfxzSK
    Thanks,
    Mike

MR2 Fan
    Hi Mike
    I haven't seen that advert before, and some of these other guys are far more knowledgeable than me, but my two pence worth:

Initially it looks clean but I would not expect ANY rust on a mk1 MR2 at that price, let alone on the b pillar! All cars rot from the inside out, so it's very likely it will need some major work once you start prodding with a screwdriver in the bottom of the door shuts. I wonder what it's like underneath and behind the side skirts.

It has clearly not been cleaned very well and has probably spent quite a bit of time outside, the green mildew around the boot hinge is very off-putting. The same goes for the protective sticker in the picture of the door shut - it's great that it is probably the original sticker, but no-one has been cherishing this car and cleaning it fastidiously, so it's not a high price car. It has been polished to be sold, but I wonder what it looks like before that polish if they didn't even remove that mildew. I would want to look around the front end very carefully.

Obviously it's not a T-bar so no leather either, but that might not be a concern for many. So it looks a nice car, but for a LOT less money, knowing it will certainly need some welding/paint to be perfect.

Happy to take close up pictures of mine to show the difference in any other those areas, for contrast.

Cheers

Rich

MR2 Newbie
    Thanks Rich,
    That would be helpful.
    Mike