Thread: New guy!

MR2 Lurker

New guy!

Hi all

I am not an mr2 owner... Yet. It will be my first "weekend car". I have test driven 5 classis now (my shortlist) and the Mr2 is the one I want. Unfortunately the one I drove had some nasty rust at the bottom of the b pillar even if it was otherwise lovely. If anyone is selling a t bar model (don't mind the colour) let me know! I'd rather there wasn't too much rust where I can't just swap a panel (like on sills etc.) but I don't mind a few jobs to do. That said I would love a good example!

Cheers!

MR2 Fan
    Welcome to the site. Hopefully you will become and owner as well soon! They really are great cars, but you are right to be careful of the dreaded rust....

There don't seem to be many that come up for sale here, but keep an eye on all the usual places, including the new online auction sites such as Collecting Cars, The Market and others.

All the best with your search,

Rich

Your challenge will be finding one that doesn't have some nasty rust somewhere. You should read as much as you can and learn where to look. There is plenty of rust expertise on here!

Anyway, Northallerton... I lived there for years when I was a kid. Went to the Allertonshire and Grammar schools. I've just been reading Wiki and I see they've changed the name of the Grammar School. They've also missed my name off the list of notable pupils... Going to have to complain about that. I left town to go and do electronics at Newcastle and was then deported to the South. Still have family in the York area so I come up from time to time. I don't bring the MR2 though. My missus doesn't enjoy a ride Canterbury in it (about 10 miles) so driving to Northallerton would result in divorce.

Good luck with the search. Feel free to ask lots of questions.

James
    There's no rust on my car. But there are some sizable holes where the rust fell out.

Welcome to the club
    I'm not far from Northallerton just down near Harrogate.
    There are the occasional ones which pop up in either good original condition or restored.
    I know of atleast one for sale which is in top condition. It does come with a hefty price tag though.
    Do you have a budget?
    Yes i talk to myself, sometimes i need a professional opinion

MR2 Lurker
    Hi Martin. Budget is for one between 5 and 7k.