Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi all. New member here.

MR2 Newbie

Hi all. New member here.

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to buy a, preferably red, mark 1b T-Bar. I had a new C reg mark 1a and part-exed it for a new E reg mark 1b. I had so much fun with these cars and have so many happy memories of them. It's amazing how quickly the thirty plus years from then have gone by! As I approach my second childhood I thought it would be lovely to see if I can find a really good condition car with really good history. I appreciate that this isn't going to be an easy task but thought this would be a sensible place to start my search.

If anyone can help it would be most appreciated! Many thanks.

Peter.

Welcome to the club Peter.

I wish you all the best of luck finding the right car for you. Like you say, it is getting more and more difficult to find Mk1s that don't need some degree of welding etc.
    Prices have also been rising fairly recently too as demand is going up and stock is falling.

Unfortunately I am unable to help you though as I have blue sunroof 1b that's not for sale!

MR2 Newbie
    Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply and your best wishes. I'm resigned to this being a long search!

Peter.

MR2 Fan
    Hi Peter,

As Michael said, not an easy task, especially if you have your heart set on a particular colour! I bought my white 1b t-bar last year, and with 49k miles and only 2 prior owners it really was a good find, but I think I did get a bit lucky.

It will be well worth the search, and even if you pay a bit more for a perfect car, you can be pretty sure you money is as safe, or safer, than in the bank!

Good luck with the search,

Rich

Welcome to the club.
    I dont think its neseccary to parrot what the others have already said.
    The cars do come up in good condition but expect to be paying the top end for one, feel free to post up on here and we will have a gander through an advert and tell you if it looks good or not. Always handy to take someone who can spot the difference between restored and bodged when looking at one.
    your alternative is to buy one that is looking a bit sorry for itself and take it to a reputable garage for the required work to be done.
    Yes i talk to myself, sometimes i need a professional opinion

MR2 Newbie
    Hi Rich and Martin

Thanks for your comments. Yeah, colour wise I think it's sensible to look at condition as being the important factor really.

It sounds like you did well, Rich, with a car on 49k with 2 owners. I would be delighted if I could do the same!

Good advice there too, Martin. I will definitely post here if I see one for sale elsewhere. I'm hoping to get one that's been wrapped in cotton wool. God loves an optimist . I'm enough of a realist to understand that a good one will require more cash. Life was ever so!

Thanks again!

Peter.

MR2 Newbie
    Hi All
    Thanks for having me on board. I officially moved from lurker to owner today. Well chuffed and pleased with the car.
    A big thanks to Jonathan (now demoted from owner to lurker for the car and taking time to do video calls for review before purchase. A lovely restoration job.
    As homework I have posted a text searchable Workshop manual with better electrical diagrams here :
    http://0x07bell.net/xYxY/Toyota_MR2_...11_OCRnFix.pdf
    Gannett

PS:
    If you need to get a car moved in these awkward times check out Shiply.com Post your car transport job and have drivers bid for it. See feedback on bidders before selection.

@peterhardy123 I recall that @cchrysos is thinking of selling his 8b8 MK1a certainly a good opportunity to own a well restored one.
    Build thread is here
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

At last......I've only gone and bloody got one
    Yes i talk to myself, sometimes i need a professional opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Gannett View Post
    Hi All
    Thanks for having me on board. I officially moved from lurker to owner today. Well chuffed and pleased with the car.
    A big thanks to Jonathan (now demoted from owner to lurker for the car and taking time to do video calls for review before purchase. A lovely restoration job.
    As homework I have posted a text searchable Workshop manual with better electrical diagrams here :
    http://0x07bell.net/xYxY/Toyota_MR2_...11_OCRnFix.pdf
    Gannett
    The only problem with that is that it's based on US spec cars, there's quite a few differences so be careful it doesn't misled you. You can download the Toyota UK/Euro electrical diagrams, the Toyota 4A-GE engine manual, 1989 BGB and a copy of the owners manual from here https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/download-cats/category/10-mk1.html
    Last edited by jimi; 4th June 2020 at 08:40 PM.
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2 Newbie
    Martin

Thanks ever so much for the link to cchrysos's build thread and the possibility of it as a potential car to buy. I've got my heart set on a T-Bar though so will continue looking. Really appreciated though!

Peter.