Thread: new member

MR2 Lurker

Hi all,

I was brought to this forum through tragic circumstance.

I bought my MR2 last summer from a good friend of Darren Trewin who I believe was an active member of the MR2 Mk1 Club judging by the number of club magazines I was given. Darren tragically passed away in a car accident in January 2017 - https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk...8-ac4d5331cbb7 and his friend became the custodian of the MR2 after his death. I don't know if Darren used this forum much but found his name amongst a post for the Silverstone Classic 2016 where he was listed as attending http://www.mr2mk1club.com/showthread...lverstone+2016.

Darren clearly had a lot of love for this car as I was in receipt of a large binder of invoices and records of work carried out over the years.

I had the car resprayed at the back end of last year in an attempt to keep the rust at bay and in the main it's holding off quite well. However a respray for under 1k was always going to leave a little wanting on the prep side so it's by no means perfect. Plenty of bits of trim replaced which either broke off or were past salvageable when I dug a litter deeper including the rear reinforcement bumper bar and the C pillar trims which cost me an arm and a leg. All the rubbers for the front bumper and side skirts were also replaced.

I haven't done many mods thus far as the car came with plenty already: BC Coilovers, huge brakes from a Celica ,17" Oz Racing wheels stainless steel exhaust and OMP steering wheel.

The engine is pretty standard other than for a K&N cone air filter and the Woodsport manual choke fix.

I have recently managed to fit the clear indicators, after much fettling with a stanly knife to get them to fit.

The car turns over first time every time and although I bought it as a track day runabout I've been using it as daily driver while my F80 M3 is gathering dust on the drive.

Hopefully I will actually get it out on a track this year. Considering putting 16" wheels on it if I can make sure they can actually clear the huge front brakes! The ride is bearable but when you hit a pot hole, you know about it.

First photo was during the summer after I just bought the car and the second was yesterday after a quick wax, although not the most flattering of photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7399.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	5552

Name:	IMG_2455.jpg 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	5553

Name:	IMG_7651.jpg 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	5554

MR2 Lurker
    A bit more search of the forum and I have found the first pic of the car, it's from the 2011 Silverstone Classic - http://www.mr2mk1club.com/showthread...l=1#post147511

Last edited by UOD; 3rd March 2020 at 11:07 AM.

That's a sad way to come by the car but at least it lives on with somebody who'll look after it.

A MK1b on a D plate... Must make it a fairly early one.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

James
    There's no rust on my car. But there are some sizable holes where the rust fell out.

MR2 Fan
    Likewise, I am sorry to hear about the circumstances but I am sure Darren would be pleased to know his car is still being looked after and cherished.

Great wheels, really suit the dark blue car!

Rich

Nice to hear the car is in good hands. I don't think I know it from my time on the forum but it looks good.

Best of luck keeping it going and have plenty of fun in the process
    Yes i talk to myself, sometimes i need a professional opinion

Welcome to the forum.
    The car certainly looks like it's been looked after and had a few treats in its life. I do like that dark blue colour and, I agree, the wheels match it well.
    I hope that you enjoy it and look after it just as much as the previous owner.
    There is plenty of help on here if you need it.