Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drive to Wales on Saturday ?

Good little read. I feel that new bushes will bring mine back to 100% also.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin42006 View Post
    if it passed the MOT then nothing needs changing. people also like to run odd tyres and change one suspension component when it fails rather than doing at mimumum an axle pair. Its easy to understand how some of these cars can become bad to drive.
    In terms of a car at its best the MOT means nothing doesn't it. It's worthless once you drive out the garage, anything can happen to it. I always replace in pairs. When cars are so cheap though they are run by people on a small budget too. So sometimes you can't fault people for it. A sports cars though, you can't hide the cost cutting in its drive.

I would like to join more days out,but with work and band commitments I struggle to find time. Most are too far away for me too. I recently drove to Belgium in my Honda, it's a more comfortable car and 8+ hours I'd had enough. Some days out would be that much driving for me without the bit in the middle. Wales such as, would be 3 hours each way at least

MR2 Enthusiast
    If you want to do a trip round Yorkshire Dales, I would be up for it ! I drove the ButterTubs pass about 6 months ago and it was lovely scenery around there!

I don't fault people for having a low budget, but they are often so short sighted! With a bit of research and time spent online you can buy a decent tyre for a budget price and the total cost is probably only £30 more (max) than getting Ling Long tyres from your local tyre shop. With no ABS and a rather poor encap safety rating, the MR2 owner who fits crap tyres is missing out on cracking handling and a safe drive. He is also putting his life in danger if he needs to brake suddenly - especially in the wet. I found this out because my car was fitted with Event tyres on the front and SteadyWay tyres on the rear. I had to brake in the wet all of a sudden and the wheels just locked up and I nearly ran into the back of a 1 series BMW. I had to pump the brake like crazy to regain control!

Yeah sometime in the future we can meet up in the Peaks. I'm pretty booked up right now. The MR2 tyres are cheap as. Mine ar top quality tyres and were about £35 each

What are these top tyres you guys are peddling anyway? We all need recommendations please?!

I was looking at Bridgestones but they are nowhere near £35.

MR2 Enthusiast
    I am running Avon ZV7 195/50 R15 V (82) (on the front) which are £35.80 each from Black Circles on the rear Toyo CF2 which are £33.80 @ MyTyres.co.uk

Both these tyres are Great in the wet and the dry. I can lock them up in the dry if I stamp on the brakes like a madman, but if I lessen the pedal pressure, they grip again quickly. Because the MR doesn't have ABS, I think its V important to get a tyre which is grippy in the wet and of a soft compound. I would prefer to have to buy new tyres due to wear than have hardly worn tyres on a smashed up motor or worse !

when you get one of these cars handling great and the engine running sweet, you tend to "enjoy" the handling and performance much more than you would a triumph Herald

When mine was on the road i had Dunlop bluresponse, they are brilliant in wet and dry as they had really soft compound. think they were 40-50 each fitted, been a while since i had to buy them, they lasted 10-15k miles too so didnt have to change them very often.
    I would be up for a dales or peaks run. I will have a look and see if i can find a nice few routes through the dales inc. buttertubs pass and see if we can find a time that suits as many people as possible.
    On the FB drivers club group there is someone organising a bit of a yorkshire run for the 10th august, there hasnt been a set route posted just a general idea of where its going through dont thing its going up into the dales though. I will post details if anyones interested.
    Yes i talk to myself, sometimes i need a professional opinion

MR2 Enthusiast
    Hey Martin can you post a link to it ?

This pic is from when i went around Wales with Bill and Mike:

If any of you are daft enough to use twatbook the link is here. https://www.facebook.com/events/667161400424211/?ti=as

If not then here is a rough outline of the route

If anyone is interested I can keep you updated with the details.
    Yes i talk to myself, sometimes i need a professional opinion

MR2 Enthusiast
    I know I'm in good company when its referred to as twatbook lol

I would probably take part in a northern run that was less easterly as getting to and from that event would 3.5 to 4 hrs for me.

For me. Yorkshire Dales would be ideal starting from M6, or Forest of Bowland, or Halifax and going up
    Last edited by Evo4Jon; 15th July 2019 at 09:02 AM.

Faceballs ain't for me either. That's a pretty local run for me. I'll check my calender. I'm still up for meeting Jon half way at some point too.