Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1988 White T-bar

MR2 Fan
    Yes I think you are right, as every subwoofer I have seen has an open port on them. I have an open hole at the bottom to vent so hopefully that will do the trick (they won't be hard against the floor so it should work). If not, I will make a hole in the back or side.

Good to hear they should sound good! I can't wait to try them.

Looks like they will do the job. Once you have them covered in black carpet they will look like they belong in there.
    Speakers are always rather far down my list of things to do. Mainly because my ears are to knackered to tell any difference unless one is crackling.
    Have heard good stuff about infinity speakers though so im sure it will sound great.
    Yes i talk to myself, sometimes i need a professional opinion

That vent will do the trick, should be close enough to an open baffle. Subwoofer ports are calculated for area and length, too much to worry about. They can work sealed too. The smaller speakers tend to be made with the knowledge they will be in a door or something that is not sealed at all. It will be fine

Interested to know how it helps the sound. Hard to get any bass response from those 4" dash speakers!

MR2 Fan
    Ok I managed to find an hour to install them today. I wanted to use the correct wiring so had to take a few interior panels off to get to the original rear speakers and remove them completely. I re-used the nice little connector and soldered the other end onto the speaker boxes so that they can be removed by unplugging them easily and all original wiring is in place.

The sound is a vast improvement. Must more depth and can now take a bit of volume. If I am honest there still isn't the "bass" that I am used to, but I drive a modern Skoda with fancy surround sound system and subwoofer, so I am probably being unrealistic expecting anything like it!

Next job is to cover them when the material turns up, and then I'll take some pictures. I might upgrade the headunit for one with bluetooth as I like to stream from my phone, but I'll make sure it is all reversible so I can put the original unit back in if needed. Something like this would be good https://www.kenwood-electronics.co.u.../?view=details

I would call this little job a success

Looks like a great example, there really can't be many left like this in the country.

If you want more bass then one option would be to pick up a mk1a sub that fits under the drivers seat, upgrade the speaker in it and fit to yours. Easy upgrade as the fitting points and wiring is already there.
    Yes i talk to myself, sometimes i need a professional opinion

Not sure I'd recommend the Toyota under seat sub. It was, well, a bit pointless to be honest.

To get bass (ideally) you need a big speaker in a big cabinet. The best I had was a 10 inch driver behind the back seats using the boot as a cabinet.
    You'll never get that in the MR2 'cos there just isn't a big enough volume anywhere.

The theory of porting is that you take the pressure wave off the back of the driver, pass it through a long tube such that it re-appears at the front back in phase. You can only do that at one frequency so you normally organise it to reenforce the sound just where the bass is rolling off. Again, you haven't got the room so I wouldn't worry about it.

The only other thing you could do (and you'll have already have done this) is turn up the bass to compensate for the limitations. But then you'll be limited because you'll run out of travel in the 4 inch drivers at the front. Unless you filter the bass out of the front drivers and let the back ones do the work...

Anyway, If it sounds better then you've done a grand job. Tea and medals well deserved.

James
    There's no rust on my car. But there are some sizable holes where the rust fell out.

MR2 Fan
    Thanks guys, all useful information. I am sure I am currently limited by the head unit as well as the cheap Bluetooth radio sender I am using to pick up tunes from my iPhone so I won't get too caught up in trying to perfect anything.

As you say, you need some big space and the MR2 just doesn't have that!

Anyway, back to the pictures, really pleased with the final result.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3A11D16C-CFA2-4A80-A01A-34590ABD7900.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	5346
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37578838-06E8-46AB-A8EE-C35E4CF685E3.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	5345

Dam, they look spot on! Real nice job. Good to hear it was worth doing in the end.

Everything James said is right. I just didn't want to complicate things. He's got a better less confusing way of saying stuff than me

A quality radio playing will help with the bass. That's where most of the power is needed. I've used http://caraudiosecurity.com/ http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ in the past. I can't say what they are like these days.

MR2 Fan
    Thanks very much for those links, I will take a look!