Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 1988 White T-bar

Looks great
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

It does look great.
    The OCD bit of me was always upset that they didn't put the writing on the other way up on the MR2... Can't blame you for that though!
    There's no rust on my car. But there are some sizable holes where the rust fell out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    It does look great.
    The OCD bit of me was always upset that they didn't put the writing on the other way up on the MR2... Can't blame you for that though!
    You probably know already know this, the writing is that way because the 4A-GE was originally designed for use in a FWD car and in that orientation the writing is the right way round. The 4A-GZE on the other hand has the writing the correct way for a MR2
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Engine bay looking really good. Nice work on the can covers.
    Yes i talk to myself, sometimes i need a professional opinion

MR2 Fan
    Hi All,

I have only done a few jobs recently on the Mister 2. First as a full body treatment, starting with clay bar, followed by using my new dual action machine polisher to give a full compound, then polish and then wax treatment.

Having never used a machine polisher before, I was a bit nervous but the results were amazing. The clay bar really lifted the "matt" feel of the paint, the so many little imperfections were taken out with each stage. It took a while to do the whole thing, including masking any black areas, but was well worth it. Pics never do it justice, but are good to see anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MR28.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	5812

Name:	MR29.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	5813

Other than that, I have polished the rear tail pipe using my dremmel and some autoglym (not in above pics) and just driven her! Any excuse to pop to a local farm shop during lockdown and now we have a bit more freedom I will head out for longer drives when the rain stops.

I hope everyone is well.

Rich

MR2 Newbie
    Nice work.

MR2 Fan
    Hi All, I have decided I am bored in the evenings and want to tackle some other bits on my car. Last night, after giving the engine a spruce up and using some Autoglym rubber and plastic gel on the pipework etc (amazing stuff!) I got the urge to remove the front headlight pod and check the state of the metalwork.

As expected I have some surface rust, as well as corroded screws holding the chrome surround on (had to dremel a few off). The cavity looks really good, with only a few very minor areas which will need treating, pics below.

I wouldn't mind getting the units themselves shot/sandblasted and have been quoted £72 in vat to get the pair done - a bit pricey? That doesn't include painting... I thought it might be almost as cheap to buy a small blast cabinet, as I have a compressor - any recommendations for the cabinet or material to do the blasting? I have never done that before.

Lastly, are the pods powder coated or just painted, out of the factory? The shotblast guy said it would cost more if they were powder coated but I don't know how to tell!

Here are some pics:

Name:	light 1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	5834

Name:	Light 3.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	5833

Name:	light 2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	5832

I think they were powder coated from the factory.
    The guy sounds a bit high especially if he isnt coating or painting them. might be worth sing if you have another powder coater local. the parts wont be cheap to blast due to all the angles and cavities though
    There is definatly nothing wrong with getting a blasting cabinate and giving it a go but i would say if your expecting any sort of decent results and not have it take all week then you need a big compressor.
    As an idea my blasting cabinate is connected up to a clark industrial which can supply 14cfh and it works well but takes an age to get through powder coating and can be a bit slow on rust. im currently looking for another compressor to run in tandem.

Crushed glass works well for a cheap media and gives a great finish but does get quite dusty after a while.
    if your wanting to strip them down the best thing i can suggest is some industrial paint remover, i quite like power strip it works well (do not use in an enclosed space, make sure you have ventilation!!)
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Str...kAAOSwZZlbmN1c

smother it on and leave it wrapped in cling film for half an hour and you should find most of the power coat has bubbled off and the rest should shift with a wire brush or a second application.
    once you have it mostly cleaned off then give it a blasting and paint/powder coat.
    Yes i talk to myself, sometimes i need a professional opinion

MR2 Fan
    Thanks very much Martin, I appreciate the feedback. It's helped me to decide I will definitely pay a professional to do it with a decent cabinet, as my air compressor just wouldn't be man enough for the job.

I will try around a few local "paint shops" to see if they want to quote for it, but if not I will drive further a field to the guy that has quoted already.

Cheers

Rich

MR2 Fan
    I found a powder coating place 20 mins away that are charging £20 per unit to strip and powder coating the units, which seems a real bargain! He said they will take a week as their very busy, so fingers crossed they are good when I get them back. If they are, they might see a bit more business from me when I refresh the suspension over winter!