Thread: My first MR2 and it might be an odd model

Hybrid View

MR2 Lurker

My first MR2 and it might be an odd model

I purchased my first MR2 and it might be an odd model. Car is a 1988 hardtop model no sideskirts, no spoiler, no power windows and no cruise control. All body panels have a matching vin except for the engine lid because it was changed to a supercharged engine lid. Do I have a rare car or is it just a really base model MR2? I looked online and I cant find another MK1b optioned this way.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0g0u...pBZTO2NpuIbI4w

I've never seen another one like that, it looks good in white.

Enjoy the car !

MR2 Lurker
    I have an 88 gt made in japan and sold in cali and I believe mine is a mk1b from a video I saw that said the mk1b has a 2 piece for the front bottom part under the bumper, besides that I am unsure the difference between a mk1a and mk1b. I think the pre 87 models were mk1a and later were mk1b until the mk2 in 89? please correct me if i am wrong. Mine is the GT model, which means no super charger. I got it for 2000 but upon seeing prices of the 80s models reaching 6000$ I figured it would be worth dumping money to get it running.

Poverty spec models were available in some countries (including the USA) but not in the UK, they all got skirts, spoiler, power windows but cruise control was never a UK option, neither was the superchargeror or air-conditioning, although I believe at least one dealer did offer air con as a dealer option
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2 Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    Poverty spec models were available in some countries (including the USA) but not in the UK, they all got skirts, spoiler, power windows but cruise control was never a UK option, neither was the superchargeror or air-conditioning, although I believe at least one dealer did offer air con as a dealer option
    "poverty " spec models ...LOL But yes plain base models were available in the USA for people with a very tight budget back in the day ..I remember buying my very first NEW car a 1996 Base Honda Civic without a Radio or A/C ....ahhhh the good ole days