Thread: Hi everyone just got my first mr2 and it’s a mk1

Hi everyone just got my first mr2 and it’s a mk1

Hi everyone
    I’m new to the club I just got my first mr2 and it’s 1985 mk1 it was a non runner just only got it running and MOT done needed a lot doing but worth it
    Still needs a few things sorting but it’s road legal now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DF058B9E-3152-4E4C-8100-1DA9DB4273FB.jpg   E2706176-57FF-45F8-BD3C-5873CEDED3FE.jpg  

Nice. Not many early mk1a cars around. The bumpers should be black below the trim line to bring it back to original but that is easily done after the major jobs are completed

Enjoy your car

Nice car that. But then I've always been partial to an early car without skirts.

I don't normally like replacement wheels on MK1s either. For some reason I always prefer the originals but I quite like those. They aren't MK3 wheels though are they? Too many spokes?

Anyway, tell us what you've had to do to get it on the road. And what you still have to do.

James
    There's no rust on my car. But there are some sizable holes where the rust fell out.

Thanks guys

The car came with these alloys 15s and they are starting to grow on me lol

Car needed a lot of work then originally planned there was 2 big holes by the rear bumper they have been sorted and the lower rear arch both needed welding behind that side skirt cover and radiator had a big leak so I have replaced that with a aluminium one and few other issues that I can’t remember sorted for the mot not bad since its 33 years old

MR2 Lurker
    Welcome, I'm also a newbie! Hopefully doing a deal this weekend on an 88 t bar in red, will keep you all posted

Faz, that all sounds familiar. In fact if that was all you've done quite well!

Soapster, Darlington... My old stomping ground was Northallerton down the road. But then I had to head south to start my career and my Northern passport was withdrawn. Not technically allowed north of Watford these days although the border is poorly defended so I sneak back once a year or so.
    Good luck with the car.

James
    There's no rust on my car. But there are some sizable holes where the rust fell out.

MR2 Lurker
    Hi James, I'm actually in Bedford working at the moment, keep you updated with pics etc.... 944 goes Friday hopefully replace it with t-bar over the weekend! Finger crossed

MR2 Enthusiast
    Welcome to MR2 ownership! You will certainly have plenty to keep you occupied on and off, but the benefit of owning an MR2 is that - unlike a Hillman Minx or other such regular classic, they are ACE to drive with a bit of tweaking and perseverance

MR2 Newbie
    Hi
    My name is mikeb and have just joined ,I have recently purchased a white mk1 1989 G405 TKX with 88k on clock I live in weymouth dorset ,my car has been lowered by fitting different springs but I am hoping to obtain a normal set of springs to put the car back to normal, as the ride is very uncomfortable, this is my 2nd mk1 the last one I owned was in year 2000.

Best regards

Mike

MR2 Newbie
    Red looks good on the MK1...