Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: The Lancaster Insurance Classic Motor Show 2018 - NEC, Birmingham 9th-11th November

  1. #11
    MR2 Mk1 Club Chairman tommundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    2,658
    Hi Jimi,

    Sorry you feel like that, but we can't change what the offer from the NEC was for this competition. They're obviously trying to promote their show on Facebook by giving away these tickets.

    I thought by posting the Facebook link, I'd help raise awareness of it on here. What about the people that don't even have Internet access...

    I'm not sure what you're expecting me to do in this situation. Should I have turned down their offer, and given up the chance of someone, anyone, getting a free pair of tickets!? If there was a bit more of a buzz around the event on the forum, then perhaps we'd have considered giving away a pair of tickets ourselves also, but that's not been the case.

    The comment about taking out or renewing membership is a bit off the cuff as it's not as if the whole point of taking membership out is to wait for an unknown competition sometime in the future that has a prize of tickets to a car show.

    Cheers,
    Tom

  2. #12
    MR2 Obsessive jimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Kingdom of Fife
    Posts
    1,584
    Quote Originally Posted by tommundy View Post
    Hi Jimi,

    Sorry you feel like that, but we can't change what the offer from the NEC was for this competition. They're obviously trying to promote their show on Facebook by giving away these tickets.

    I thought by posting the Facebook link, I'd help raise awareness of it on here. What about the people that don't even have Internet access...

    I'm not sure what you're expecting me to do in this situation. Should I have turned down their offer, and given up the chance of someone, anyone, getting a free pair of tickets!? If there was a bit more of a buzz around the event on the forum, then perhaps we'd have considered giving away a pair of tickets ourselves also, but that's not been the case.

    The comment about taking out or renewing membership is a bit off the cuff as it's not as if the whole point of taking membership out is to wait for an unknown competition sometime in the future that has a prize of tickets to a car show.

    Cheers,
    Tom
    If they don't have internet access they are unlikely to be members or to have Farcebook access ?

    I don't really expect you to do anything and no it would have been silly to turn down the offer. The point I was trying to make is that (in my opinion) it's not providing any encouragement for new/existing members to join/renew and given the current situation with all online car clubs we need to provide all the encouragement we can if the clubs are to survive (I say we speaking as an Administrator for the OC) Just about every online car club, certainly the ones I'm a member of, are suffering the same problems, much reduced traffic, falling membership, etc etc Some of the forums are lucky if they get 1 post a day where they used to get dozens, Farcebook has played a large part in this unfortunately, it may in some ways be better but mostly not.
    I know it's ("to wait for an unknown competition sometime in the future that has a prize of tickets to a car show") not the point of taking out a membership (it's certainly not mine with any of the clubs I support) but as I said above every bit encouragement to become/stay a member is useful, helps some people to feel they are getting something else in return for their support.
    Nothing personal Tom, just my (badly put) opinions and certainly won't affect the my support for the club
    Regards
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

  3. #13
    MR2 Mk1 Club Chairman tommundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    If they don't have internet access they are unlikely to be members or to have Farcebook access ?
    You'd be surprised how many offline members we have, despite me telling them the benefits of the forum etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    I don't really expect you to do anything and no it would have been silly to turn down the offer. The point I was trying to make is that (in my opinion) it's not providing any encouragement for new/existing members to join/renew and given the current situation with all online car clubs we need to provide all the encouragement we can if the clubs are to survive (I say we speaking as an Administrator for the OC) Just about every online car club, certainly the ones I'm a member of, are suffering the same problems, much reduced traffic, falling membership, etc etc Some of the forums are lucky if they get 1 post a day where they used to get dozens, Farcebook has played a large part in this unfortunately, it may in some ways be better but mostly not.
    I know it's ("to wait for an unknown competition sometime in the future that has a prize of tickets to a car show") not the point of taking out a membership (it's certainly not mine with any of the clubs I support) but as I said above every bit encouragement to become/stay a member is useful, helps some people to feel they are getting something else in return for their support.
    Nothing personal Tom, just my (badly put) opinions and certainly won't affect the my support for the club
    Regards
    Jimi
    I fully agree, and I don't see why people have moved to Facebook for things like car forums. Facebook doesn't give you that sectioned structure, where you can search and refer back to articles that were written previously. Yes, you can search on the page wall, but it's just not the same as navigating a forum. From what I can see of the public facing forums, we're doing perhaps better than most, but it does seem to go in waves of activity. Still really glad I put in the effort to tackle the photobucket shutdown, which decimated many online forums.

    I also agree that all clubs have to try and preserve their membership, as what is a club without them.

    I'll see if I can come up with any ideas to keep the forum nice and active throughout the winter months.

    Thanks again Jimi, I knew it wasn't anything personal.

    Cheers,
    Tom

  4. #14
    MR2 Enthusiast Vistalite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Warwick
    Posts
    747
    Keep up the good work Tom.

    Maybe finally resurrecting the club shop might generate some activity? Ive yet to see it during my membership

  5. #15
    MR2 Lurker
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    2
    Hi tom,
    Can you share the discount code for the tickets please? Have sent a message requesting.
    Thanks
    Paul

  6. #16
    MR2 Mk1 Club Chairman tommundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by PYY View Post
    Hi tom,
    Can you share the discount code for the tickets please? Have sent a message requesting.
    Thanks
    Paul
    Hi Paul, will do tonight.

  7. #17
    MR2 Mk1 Club Chairman tommundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistalite View Post
    Keep up the good work Tom.

    Maybe finally resurrecting the club shop might generate some activity? Ive yet to see it during my membership
    Cheers Jonathan.

    Still looking for a merchandise officer for the shop unfortunately.

    If there's anything specific that you're after, just drop me a message.

  8. #18
    MR2 Mk1 Club Chairman tommundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    2,658
    Everyone that had requested the booking code should have just received a PM.

  9. #19
    MR2 Mk1 Club Chairman tommundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    2,658
    The Facebook competition was won by Vistalite. Well done Jonathan!

  10. #20
    MR2 Enthusiast Vistalite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Warwick
    Posts
    747
    Thank you Tom. I’m looking forward to seeing the Club stand and speaking to the guys, and with a bit of luck catch you there too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •