Thread: How’s every one doing?

MR2 Lurker

How’s every one doing?

I’ve been loitering around in the back ground for a little while but thought I’d say hello as I am getting close to finishing my project.

My goal is to build a mk1 3sgte to use as a track/spring car to use at some comps and to play with on track days.

So with the prospect of heading to japfest I’ve decided I need to get my self organised and get this car on the road and tested before the show season starts as I would like to enjoy the car this year as it now been of the road for two years. So over the last few weekends I’ve been hitting the workshop and getting things ticked of the list.

First was a way of shutting the engine cover so I went for the aero catch style and with a lot of fiddling and grinder action I got them fitted and they look good.

After this I started looking at how I was going to fit the wheels over the celica front brakes I started with 50mm spacers

Front

Rear

The side

This was a little to wide for me plus after measuring the gap between the wheels spokes and the caliper, it turned out to be 30mm so I went and ordered some 25mm spacers and they fitted perfectly.

Now I had sorted the wheels out, I moved on to the door cards, and after a few hours I had finished what I had started two months ago. I decided to bin all the oem wiring for the electric windows and use a universal kit. This might seem silly but I was removing the standard door cards so I had no where to put the switches so replacing them seemed like a better idea.

So slowly ticking of all these jobs I have been lingering on for months and not really having any focus. Suddenly the car was taking suspend sitting on its own wheels for the first time in over a year, the problem now is there is one major job to do before japfest can anyone guess?

So like everything on this car I will be making this exhaust by myself. So I will be using mild steel not stainless as I don’t think I can weld stainless without a new welder and learning a whole bunch of new skills. The plan is to make it and see how much I like the way it looks and sounds. If It turns out I like it then over the winter I will make it out of stainless.

I want to take the idea of the corvette exhaust below and make it fit the Aw11, I will use a 3 inch down pipe and flexi, which splits into two 2.5 inch loops which meet in the middle to have some stainless 2.5 inch rolled tips. Just a little homage to the original exhaust.

If all goes to plan then by March this car will be moving and I can start thinking about getting a MOT and have a garage look over it and give me a job list of things to improve.

So this is where I am, where is everyone else with their projects?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. I look forward to seeing this done. It sounds like it will be a cool bit of kit.

My project is on hold again.
    Half done, all bits sourced, just in the garage waiting for the weather to improve so the respray can be finished.

If you want to check it out, I have a thread on here somewhere called ‘I’ve only gone and bloody got one’ ...... or something like that.

Good luck with yours

Chrys