Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally back behind the wheel of an MR2 :-)

Hybrid View

MR2 Fan

Finally back behind the wheel of an MR2 :-)

Hi,
    I picked up a beautiful dark metallic blue T-bar at the weekend.
    I've had quite a few MR2's in the past. Mostly Mk2 (both NA and Turbo) and this is my 4th Mk1. I haven't had a 2 for about 5years and Mk1 for even longer!
    We've moved and I now have a garage so thought it was time to put something in it so a Mk1 was the natural choice (its not a huge garage!).
    I got it for a bargain considering its condition. The bodywork is quite impressive, theres a few imperfections but you have to look hard. The arches are all amazingly rust free. She has had 2 spots of welding in the past but has been fully undersealed and ill have another go at this myself just to be sure.
    Totally standard and the black leather interior is in time-warp condition.
    She does have a couple of little things which need addressing:
    - Coolant reservoir cap has gone brittle and needs replacing
    - warm idle sits a little high. Between 1000-1100rpm.
    - Clutch is high. I hope this can be resolved by adjusting it rather than needing a new clutch! It doesn't slip under load.
    Anyway, shes all parked up in the garage waiting for a nice weekend.
    Im not sure how to upload pics but any help (including to any of the above issues) is gratefully received.
    Cheers
    Ben

Here are some pics of Ben's car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3133.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	4443

Name:	image1 (2).jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	4444

Name:	image1 (1).jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	4445

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	4446
    Last edited by Gilles27; 19th October 2017 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellso View Post
    - Coolant reservoir cap has gone brittle and needs replacing
    - warm idle sits a little high. Between 1000-1100rpm.
    - Clutch is high. I hope this can be resolved by adjusting it rather than needing a new clutch! It doesn't slip under load.
    Your #1 priority is the first item, get that replaced asap. (it can lead to overheating and that is probably the #1 4A-GE head gasket killer) warm idle high could be a couple of things, but I wouldn't worry about that until the cap is replaced.
    Clutch is hydraulic so no adjustment, but you can adjust the pedal height. If it's not slipping under load then it may be ok. Mine has had a high pedal since I bought it and 13years later it's still ok.
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2 Fan
    Cheers guys.
    Its all tucked up in the garage at the moment and I wont take her out until ive replaced the cap.
    Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forums Ben!

Nice looking car, and you're in the right place to get all the help you need.

Cheers,
    Tom

MR2 Fan
    Cheers Tom,
    I wanted one to have a play around with, lower it, woodsport wide arches, some nice ET0 or ET10 wheels and a woodsport front lip. She’s in such good shape, I couldn’t start cutting her up so my plans have changed somewhat. I’m still thinking front lip from woodsport, suspension upgrade and some slightly more arch filling wheels but I think more subtle. First things first, I need to sort out the above problems and get a new steering wheel with an extension. I’m 6ft3 and I fit fine but I could do with the wheel being a little closer

MR2 Newbie
    Cheers Tom,
    I wanted one to have a play around with, lower it, woodsport wide arches, some nice ET0 or ET10 wheels and a woodsport front lip. She’s in such good shape, I couldn’t start cutting her up so my plans have changed somewhat. I’m still thinking front lip from woodsport, suspension upgrade and some slightly more arch filling wheels but I think more subtle. First things first, I need to sort out the above problems and get a new steering wheel with an extension. I’m 6ft3 and I fit fine but I could do with the wheel being a little closer
    hi m8 ive got a set of koni adjustable shocks in good condition, used for about 18k £130 collected or u can arrange ur own courier only reason for sale is I bought some bc coilovers which cost me over £900

Good job

Sent from my PRA-AL00X using Tapatalk

MR2 Lurker
    Cheers Tom,
    I test link wanted one to have a play around with, lower it, woodsport wide arches, some nice ET0 or ET10 wheels and a woodsport front lip. She’s in such good shape, I couldn’t start cutting her up so my plans have changed somewhat. I’m still thinking front lip from woodsport, suspension upgrade and some slightly more arch filling wheels but I think more subtle. First things first, I need to sort out the above problems and get a new steering wheel with an extension. I’m 6ft3 and I fit fine but I could do with the wheel being a little closer
    Sounds like a good plan, Tellso. Did you do any of that yet or are you waiting for nicer weather?
    Last edited by AphonseLer; 27th January 2022 at 11:16 AM.

I'd go for BC Coilovers any day now over Konis.

I really struggled to sell my koni's and you cannot rebuild them.