Thread: Dastek Unichip piggyback ECU

Dastek Unichip piggyback ECU

Hi all,
    Not being sure what these are worth, I've put my Dastek Unichip ECU (a piggyback unit) on eBay. You'll find all the details on the ad:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272849265903
    Click here for Forum How-tos
    Also follow the above link for web/forum contact info.

Hi Max,

I had one of these and unfortunately not a lot. Mainly because you have to have it programmed to your car which involves a few steps. It's not plug and play, unless you sell the ECU that it's been mapped to.

1. Someone has to have the software (very old now) to be able to map it.
    2. The cost of around about £50 an hour to map it which can be up to 5-6 hours.

I thought it was a bargain when I bought it for £60 and then lost money on it realising what was involved.

Whatever you paid for it, stick it on.

Hi Alex,
    Thanks for the info. I've been told that it should work with any Mk1a ECU but then sometimes you read that that may not be the case. Unfortunately someone else in the club needed a 1a ECU so I gave the ECU away almost straight away. Anyway, the bidding started at 99p so we'll just have to see where it ends up. I'm not under any illusion that it's worth mega money. However, I've built a MegaSquirt since then, (not for a 4AGE) so don't feel I need this lying around anymore. I'm not sure it'd need 5-6 hours to map this if it's on a relatively standard or lightly modded 4AGE. If the engine is more highly modded, then personally I wouldn't be sticking a piggyback unit on it anyway.
    Saying all that, I am probably writing up a for sale post for everything sometime this week...

Seems to be going well Max.